The Saturday Morning Home Repair Blog (SMHRB) is where we gather to discuss the many and varied aspects of home repair. Some here are trained professionals. Some, talented DIYers. Some, hopeless thumb-hammerers. All are welcome. Please feel encouraged to ask questions, share successes, lament sags, drips and cracks and, as always, share any advice that you have for the rest of us.So last time I posted pictures of the shop I ended with a picture of the AC unit in place.
I was told by an AC man that if the duct work on the out side of the building was enclosed & insulated it would be big in the efficiency picture !
So that's what is going to happen to this project.
I have almost everything ready to do that.
we started with fastening a 6" stud with a 2" x 2" aluminum square tubing attached to it.
then I stood up another 2" x 2" tubing and connected them with hat channel. then we put a piece of return duct in place & made brackets to connect everything.
I can't remember how long it took to do the return air duct.
these are 40" x 40" openings.
Kenny getting the top return duct ready to go in
so next we put in the center 2" x 2" tubing
Then we start on the supply duct. Greg who owns the AC business is a one man show, he has a guy that helps him with big stuff who is Kenny, We would get going & Greg's phone would ring & he was off to do a service call.
So I could only see putting the supply duct in top down.
Good thing Adam was helping. he's a small guy & didn't mind getting in the small spaces & putting the sealer on ! Or getting out on my scaffolding ! I stood on it first, it held me up.
I got up there to put on the roof supports & hat channel
just kept putting pieces on.
There is duct work to do in the old building's attic. it's mostly done but I haven't taken pictures of it yet. this is what Greg calls a mixer hanging from the trusses.
There are 6 registers in the ceiling of the old part of the shop now. We installed 5 of the 6 yesterday. there is water damage where the 6th one goes from an old sky lighting leak. I'm deciding how to fix this the right way. I have to remember there is blown in insulation up there also.
There is more ac stuff to do before Greg can call for a rough inspection. We have to wait for that inspection to put on the siding. I have most of the material ready. there are pieces to be made and or altered! maybe I'll have that done for the next post.
last weekend I made the offsets for the gutter drains.
this is how it will look
this is how I cut the hole
I used a router. I need to find a longer bit before I cut any more of those out.
I fixed more of the old electric in the building also.
The light switch to the old building was a single switch. I want 3 switches there, it also had an extension ring on it. well they don't make a 3 gang extension ring, so I did !
if you look I messed up & cut it wrong because I didn't do enough measuring before I started cutting, so I had to weld pieces back in !
I also had to move the wood twice so the box was flush with the studs.
I didn't take enough pictures of the work lately. I'll have to catch up on them
there was romex in there & I changed it to the metal stuff.
I made it thru all the electric upgrades I needed to do, again I didn't take pictures. But I doubt I could have taken pictures that would explain the difficulty of what we had to do.
I will probably be at the shop cleaning when this hits the recent list. I'll try to monitor the post on my phone, to which is difficult for me.
Hope your Saturday is what you want it to be.
this is what the building looked like on 6-20-2013