OK

 photo DSCN2194_zps5a8fdb4b.jpg

Renton, Washington was originally a Duwamish Indian village at the southern end of Lake Washington. With the arrival of the Americans in the nineteenth century, it grew into an industrial city. Renton was named for William Renton, the owner of the Port Blakely Mill on Bainbridge Island who financed the first coal mining company in Renton. Displays at the Renton History Museum, housed in a former fire hall, document the community’s past.

 photo DSCN2100_zpsc5c07a4f.jpg

 photo DSCN2195_zps36df66f7.jpg

 photo DSCN2196_zps0f62007b.jpg

 photo DSCN2199_zpsfe236fef.jpg

Outside of the museum is a Chief Seattle fountain and a logging rail car (shown above). The bust of Chief Joseph was cast in 1909 and presented to the Renton Volunteer Fire Department on July 4, 1910.

Movies:

 photo DSCN2168_zps5e679268.jpg

The movie theater was an important part of American cultural, social, entertainment, and dating life during much of the twentieth century.

 photo DSCN2169_zps74c3fb75.jpg

 photo DSCN2170_zps30f1b83c.jpg

Renton Co-Operative Coal Company:

A group of underemployed miners organized the Renton Co-Operative Coal Company in 1895. The Renton Hill coal mine, which had been run by the Renton Coal Company, had been closed for a decade. The miners re-opened the mine, running it as a co-operative: each miner was paid according to what he produced. Miners were limited to loading four cars of coal a day. Each man, worker or management, bought into the mine and worked his share. The miners, who were also the owners, set mining quotas, working hours, and established their own safety rules. The profits went to the miners.

Many of the miners were immigrants from Wales, England, Scotland, Ireland, Belgium, and Canada. In most cases they had been miners before coming to Renton.

 photo DSCN2117_zps013c59b1.jpg

Shown above are three important mining artifacts: (1) the whip (used for encouraging the stubborn mules); (2) a box holding blasting caps; and (3) candlestick holders which could be wedged into the wall or the wooden mine supports. Mules were essential for hauling coal out of the mines and the mule drivers tended to be young boys. Many of them found that sugar cubes worked better than the whip in getting the mules to work.

 photo DSCN2121_zps8d76b991.jpg

Shown above are some different mining lights for caps. Mines, being underground, tend to be dark and so the miners needed some form of illumination which they could carry with them as they worked.

 photo DSCN2122_zps2c313b92.jpg

Shown above are a lunch pail, canteens, and fuel for the lamps.

In 1901, the miners sold the Renton Co-Operative Coal Mine to the Seattle Electric Company. Renton’s small mines began to be depleted about the time of World War I and demand for coal fell as petroleum and hydroelectric power replaced the need for coal.

Clay:

In 1901, James Doyle and J.R. Miller discovered that the clay covering the Renton coal fields could be baked into high-quality brick. Rapid urban growth throughout the West had increased the demand for brick and Renton brick was considered to be a superior road paving brick because it had beveled edges which provided traction for horse shoes.

 photo DSCN2127_zps6e065af6.jpg

In 1905, the brick factory became the Denny-Renton Clay and Coal Company and the plant diversified to produce sewer tile, acid blocks for lining tanks, chimney flue lining, conduits, and roof and drain tiles. The plant employed 500 workers.

 photo DSCN2125_zps29cb7f59.jpg

Shown about are some ceramic made with Renton clay.

Pacific Car & Foundry Company:

The company was started by William Piggot, the son of Irish immigrants who fled from Ireland during the potato famine. Originally based in West Seattle, the company built railcars for the logging industry. After a fire destroyed the plant in 1907, it was moved to Renton and by 1917 had become the Pacific Car & Foundry Company. Many local miners, knowing that coal mining was ending, looked to the company for jobs.

 photo DSCN2172_zpsca7d525c.jpg

During World War II, the company produced the LVTUX2 Amphibious Vehicle Tracked and the M55 Self-Propelled 8-inch Howitzer. They used models, such as the one shown above, prior to production which were tested in water tanks to test for seaworthiness.

Boeing:

 photo DSCN2180_zps00b7a2a4.jpg

 photo DSCN2182_zps58f1507f.jpg

Boeing was also an important part of the industrialization of Renton.

Family:

 photo DSCN2188_zps3ab4c8aa.jpg

Communities are made of up families which have both unique and similar histories. The Renton History Museum worked with Renton High Honors Language Arts students to produce an exhibit of Renton’s historic families. Students selected historic families and then compared them with their own. According to the display:

“The words and images you see on display here are entirely the work of Renton High Honors Language Arts students. This exhibit is the result of three months of research, contemplation, writing, and editing.”
 photo DSCN2189_zpsf7671390.jpg

 photo DSCN2190_zps9ab1aec5.jpg

 photo DSCN2191_zps0afdc2c9.jpg

 photo DSCN2178_zps8818561d.jpg

 photo DSCN2179_zps47c5e3d8.jpg

 photo DSCN2184_zps18f273c1.jpg

 photo DSCN2185_zps4f07ef01.jpg

 photo DSCN2193_zpsd3b7c8c2.jpg

Originally posted to History for Kossacks on Sun Aug 24, 2014 at 08:08 AM PDT.

Also republished by Shutterbugs and Koscadia.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.