Welcome to ROV #126 (Herman Melville Edition)
You are in the current BP disaster ROV, number 126. Number 125 is here
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, rather REC THE MOTHERSHIP instead. She needs your love to stay afloat.
Be kind to kossacks with bandwidth issues. Please do not post images or videos. Again, many thanks for this.
For a description of the mothership/ROV liveblogging process, check out this thread.
From across time, Herman Melville has something to tell us about what it is we are losing as we continue to poison our oceans:
Why did the old Persians hold the sea holy? Why did the Greeks give it a separate deity, and own brother of Jove? Surely all this is not without meaning. And still deeper the meaning of that story of Narcissus, who because he could not grasp the tormenting, mild image he saw in the fountain, plunged into it and was drowned. But that same image, we ourselves see in all rivers and oceans. It is the image of the ungraspable phantom of life; and this is the key to it all.
On to the diary...
Must read: Lax Oversight Seen in Failure of Oil Rig's Last Line of Defense. Watch video and interactive graphic page, too. Best overview of how the BOP works, and doesn't work, and the management interference that caused the accident.
Deepwater Horizon BP Oil Spill Reference Material - from Whitis is the best source for everything.. The quantitative data diary has also been moved there.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, Rec the Mothership here.
BP put up a video explaining the LMRP procedure and the future plans.
Go to the Deepwater Horizon Data Summary for a wealth of actual data from the Department of Energy.
The BOP and pressure drawings are viewable here. The CAD drawings come highly recommended by the techies among us. h/t Claudius Bombarnac.
Breaking News and new links:
- The Daily Hurricane: Blog run by Bob Cavnar
- BP is now burning turtles alive
- Google Crisis Response page for Gulf Oil Spill
- Far from Gulf, a spill scourge 5 decades old
- NOAA finds dead sperm whale in Gulf
- Center for Biological Diversity list of Gulf species threatened by the spill
- BP Exec Tony Hayward's statement to Congress, June 17, 2010
- Statement of President after meeting with BP executives
- Webcast of June 16, 2010 BP Shareholder Briefing
- Wikipedia: Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- Hands across the Sand - June 26
- Requiring a Relief Well: Let's Write a Bill! A diary series by Garret
This is what BP DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE. The following images are guaranteed to make you .
These images are not for the faint of heart - DO NOT VIEW THEM LIGHTLY.
Really, I mean it. Hold somebody's hand. Grab a tissue.
A brief reference guide to nicknames you may see in the ROV diaries:
- Gertrude, aka Gerty: the oil volcano
- Lizzy: the diamond saw cutter
- Clampy: the cute ROV
- Crunchy: 30 ft shear. bit the pipe, now a movie star
- Wanda: the dispersant sprayer
- laundry basket: yellow thing that brings things up and down
- Thingy: those things, you know, those things
- Shiny Thing: those really neat things
- Ms. Blanche Flo, aka Blanche, aka Flo: the manifold thingy
cosmic debris put together a comprehensive list of links on oil health and safety info:
- 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Crisis Wiki
- NIH National Library of Medicine Crude oil spills and Health
- ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPH): ToxFAQs™
- CDC Emergency Preparedness and Response: 2010 Gulf of Mexico
Includes fact sheets and health and safety information for Gulf Coast Residents, Response Workers, and Health Professionals
- Reducing Occupational Exposures while Working with Dispersants During the Gulf Oil Spill Response
- EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico
Includes Air Monitoring Data Reports, Daily Average Particulate Matter, Air Sampling Data Files, Real-time Air Monitoring (including TAGA data), and Downloadable data set of hourly air monitoring
Images giving a rough idea of what's in place now and status of the kill wells
The video feeds we are watching:
==== ROV Feeds =====
44287/44668 - OceanInterventionROV1
44838/45135 - OceanInterventionROV2
46566/54013 - Viking_Poseidon_ROV1
55030/56646 - Viking_Poseidon_ROV2
31499/31500 - Boa_Deep_C_ROV_1
22458/23729 - Boa_Deep_C_ROV_2
45685/49182 - Skandi_ROV1
45683/45684 - Skandi_ROV2
47175/21144 - Enterprise_ROV_1
21145/21327 - Enterprise_ROV_2
37235/37270 - Q4000_ROV1
35523/35624 - Q4000_ROV2
Restricted to web browser based viewing:
CNN Video Streams Note: multi-view is sometimes unavailable.
PBS (fewer security issues than some others)
BP videos Links to all available live feeds from BP.
WKRG - Mobile/Pensacola (Contains link for an iPhone app at the bottom.)
ABC 7 Chicago Live Video Multiple ROV Camera Views (h/t to temptxan for the great find).
See this thread for more info on using video feeds and on linking to video feeds.
Again, to keep bandwidth down please do not post images or videos.
Links, courtesy of several Kossacks
- Sea creatures flee spill, gather near shore
- BP agrees to set aside about $20 billion for spill claims
- Efforts to repel Gulf oil spill are described as chaotic
- BP warns that its new oil collection plan has safety risks
- Oil spill coats Louisiana's Barataria Bay
- Obama names final five to oil spill panel commission
- Air tests from the Louisiana coast reveal human health threats from the oil disaster
- GeoPlatform - Gulf Response: Mapping the Response to BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico
- BP may lose US oil leases, contracts as Gulf spill punishment
- Florida closes 23 miles of coastline to fishing
- International Bird Rescue Research Center: Info on bird survival rates
- Kent Wells' technical update, June 10, 2010
- Summarized tally of affected wildlife
- BP plans to suspend shareholder dividend amid oil spill
- Huge federal Gulf recovery act planned
- dov12348's oil toxicity links
- National Science Foundation rapid response research grants for Gulf oil spill research
- Rolling Stone: The spill, the scandal, and the president
- First oil reaches Florida inland waterways
- Another Gulf Oil Spill: Well near Deepwater Horizon has leaked since at least April 30
- White House endorses unlimited liability cap for oil spillers
- Lab tests confirm underwater layers of oil
- US Fish & Wildlife Service Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Response h/t to CindyMax Left side of page has "Daily Wildlife Collection Reports" that details wildlife found oiled, alive, deceased, and/or released.
- Visualize the spill
- dov12348's Ocean currents, wind currents, and hurricane links
- World newspapers oil section
- The Oil Drum
- Oil & Gas Journal
- Offshore Magazine
- Petroleum News
- Your Oil and Gas News
- World Oil
- Administration response to spill.
- Donate to SkyTruth here. SkyTruth helps environmental NGOs use remote sensing (pictures taken from space) and digital mapping to improve their scientific credibility, conservation decision making, communications and public outreach.
- Images of the Oilpacalypse, from Tomtech.
- Visit the Oil Spill Crisis Map to see where oil, mousse, tar balls, and eau de crude have been reported on the Gulf coast.
- The BP Deepwater Horizon Unified Command official website. Wherein you can read latest post warning of employment scams associated with the event and much more from the folks handling this.
- Timeline of response here.
- Timeline of the Event from April 20th being maintained by blogroots.
- Department of Energy BP Deepwater Horizon Spill site updates.
- Bit Tooth Energy blog (technical discussions) by the famed Heading Out, well known key poster on The Oil Drum blog site.
- Department of Interior BP Deepwater Horizon Response site provides updates, reports, data, links to pictures, etc.
- Rigzone for specific disaster news and news about the offshore industry, in general.
- Courtesy of profgoose here is a list of links from The Oil Drum links on newer developments, etc
- Maritime ship tracking -- courtesy of johnsonwax
- U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spil
- NOAA Spill tracking site
- ERMA: Environmental Response Management Application
- BP has a good diagram of the cutting process that partially succeeded
- Documents show BP chose a less-expensive, less-reliable method for completing well in Gulf oil spill
- Norway freezes drilling in new deepwater blocks
- Worker on rig saw it coming
- BP doesn't want photos of dead animals
- Map of things on the sea floor there.
- Calculator for distance from BOP.
Previous liveblog ROV diaries:
BP's Gulf of Mexico Disaster ROV #124- Tomtech
BP's Gulf of Mexico Disaster ROV #123 - Yasuragi
BP's Gulf of Mexico Disaster ROV #122 - Solstice Edition - Darryl House
BP Gulf of Mexico Disaster Father's Day on the Gulf Edition Continued #121 - Pam LaPier
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 120 - khowell
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV #119- peraspera
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 118 - Cosmic Debris
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 117 - Yasuragi
BP's Gulf of Mexico Disaster Sperm Whale Edition ROV #116 - Pam LaPier
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 115 - rubyr
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 114 - conchita
For a more complete list of Liveblog diaries, see the current mothership.
Bandwidth Warning: NO IMAGES and NO VIDEOS. Readers who are on DIALUP will thank you!