Seriously, what this teaches us is that judges exist for a reason -- to protect us from the tyranny of the majority. If Bush was president 50 years ago, he'd be railing against those nine Justices the way he and his allies have railed against the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Fifty years ago today, nine judges announced that they had looked at the Constitution and saw no justification for the segregation and humiliation of an entire race," Bush said at the opening of a national historic site at Monroe Elementary, a former all-black school in the heartland of the school desegregation effort.Freakin' activist judges!
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by kos
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...130 comments 133 Recs
- British Prime Minister David Cameron For over a hundred years, British politics has largely functioned as a three-party ...70 comments 80 Recs
- Greetings from Asheville! DKos Asheville 4/28/15 DKos Asheville brought its eighth community meet up to life this past weekend with a historic appearance of a civil rights icon, Dr Fergie Reid, in ...45 comments 30 Recs
- Tired of the "distraction," the NFL is moving on.117 comments 108 Recs
- You never know what you'll get at a meetup of Kossacks. How many will actually show in person, how many will be conflicted out, and how will the meeting go? In a day that had shifts of persons ...55 comments 92 Recs
- Tyrus Byrd being sworn into office in Parma, Missouri What the hell were they afraid of ? Born and raised in tiny Parma, Missouri, Tyrus ...229 comments 243 Recs
- The lack of regulation here is stunning. The U.S. Forest Service in Southern California just caught wind of the fact Nestlé's permit to pump water out of a national ...179 comments 303 Recs
- 214 comments 396 Recs
- Police brutally beating Floyd Dent Floyd Dent is an amazing man. He has worked his entire adult life, from age 20-57, for Ford Motor Company in suburban Detroit. Never a day in his life has he been ...304 comments 246 Recs
- President Obama marked the 5th anniversary of Obamacare ...42 comments 128 Recs