- Bush is nominating a business conservative
- Bush is nominating a cronie
- Bush wanted to avoid a confirmation fight
"Conservative Politicians do not want Roe-Wade overturned"
Imagine if Roe-Wade were overtuned.
- They lose their most important hot-button issue
- They lose their anti-abortion cash machine
- Many PACs would die and their leaders with them
- Pro-Choice forces would be invigorated
It will be interesting to see if all of this hand wringing is for show (assuming that Miers is indeed an unknown quantity).