Dr. Laura Schlesinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.
The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by an East Coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10 - it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? [see this site for more useful information on this subject]
Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
My father, a retired Unitarian minister, sent me this one recently. Food for thought next time you are faced with a wingnut trying to convince you gays are evil -- or, for that matter, with any other kind of biblical literalism.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
upstate NY, jeff06dem, michael1104, BenPA, The Gryffin, bibble, Bodean, ecoast, Ari Mistral, JessicaDrewSW, Buffalo Girl, GreyHawk, Dunbar, mikolo, cowgirl, tonyahky, irishamerican, tim woods, hrambo16, Whitney S, righteousbabe, blue armadillo, EdSF
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by DC Pol Sci
- Please see the newest updates at: DAY 2: Roy Bennett still in custody (and how you can help)238 comments 926 Recs
- I don't know if this has been diaried. Regardless. In one of the most disgusting displays of police brutality, a 12 year old girl is going through her second trail for alleged assault against a ...793 comments 713 Recs
- The FBI told us that American Indians are still the most assaulted in hate crimes, and I had thought there that “some ...587 comments 328 Recs
- There was no whistleblower protection in the Administration’s unprecedented bailout of Wall Street, and last Thursday we learned that Wall Street handed out $18.4 billion in bonuses ...111 comments 340 Recs
- I have been a fan, but not a fanatic, of Al Franken since I first saw him on SNL. His partner and I have the same name and I couldn't miss seeing my name on the TV on Saturday nights. I have been ...61 comments 70 Recs
- Cross-Posted at Project Vote's Voting Matter's Blog Weekly Voting Rights News Update by Erin Ferns After the voters ...1 comments 2 Recs
- Note to republican whiners and “very serious” concern trolls who are just now taking issue with spending, the economy, detainees that we haven’t been able to get enough evidence ...572 comments 1018 Recs
- In a startling reversal on Fox News Sunday , Nancy "impeachment-is-off-the-table" ...468 comments 648 Recs
- We're going. My son and I are going. I write about him all the time, this little eight-year-old boy - who walked in the rain and knocked on doors and faced barking dogs - has earned us two tickets ...271 comments 472 Recs
- If you haven't been following FiveThirtyEight.com since the election, you should really check out today's post:197 comments 214 Recs
DC Pol Sci's Tags
- No current results.