My name is Mike Smith, and I’m a proud Democrat running for Congress in Florida’s 8th District. I got into this race because Republican Ric Keller, our current representative, is an embarrassment to the people of Central Florida. We can all agree that there is simply too much at stake -- for our children, our seniors, and our soldiers stuck in Iraq -- for us to tolerate ineffective and disgraceful leadership.
A few things about me:
• I’m a former state prosecutor. In that capacity, I cracked down on child predators and was specially appointed as a felony domestic violence prosecutor.
• I was raised in Ocala and have lived in Central Florida my whole life. My wife Sandra and I live in Winter Garden where we are raising our two children.
• I want to change course in Iraq and bring our brave troops home as soon as possible. We must set significant benchmarks so that the Iraqis take responsibility for their own security and President Bush is held accountable.
• I fully support the expansion of federal funding for stem cell research, unlike Ric Keller who voted against any funding for this life-saving advancement.
• I think Americans deserve access to affordable quality healthcare, and would fight to lower healthcare costs and prescription drug prices.
I can’t win without the support of the netroots. It’s that simple. So please check out my website www.mikesmithforcongress.com, and always feel free to email me with your questions and concerns.
Thanks so much for your time.