If you are looking at this now, you are probably in the same boat I am in. I work hard all day in my little cubicle, trying to put food on my family as best I can. Some days I am pressed for time, some days are a little bit more relaxed.
But I do not feel comfortable participating in the back and forth that makes this site so vibrant. Sure, I could probably log in and post something brief during my lunch hour, I don't think that is against the rules. But it doesn't seem right to me.
I can usually pop in and read the front page and a diary or two while on hold or waiting for a program to load up, I consider this place my substitute for the news sites. If it is important, it will make it here pretty quickly.
So why this whine? Why here, why now? Meet me around the corner and I'll tell you all about it.
I think there are many of us who can not participate in the daily scrum. Cheers & Jeers come and go. The regular Kos polls go up and get finalized in a blink of an eye. (Wise policy I believe, letting the first to randomly discover the poll probably gives better results than letting the Rapid Response Teams get their phone tree warmed up.) And all of the other great diaries that scroll past while I helplessly watch at work.
I will often comment on a diary late at night, but I have no way of knowing if anybody ever reads it. That's OK. What I do miss is having Trusted User status as a regular thing. Some like to troll rate, others like to read the hidden comments. Me, I like to tag. I firmly believe this site is bigger than today and bigger than any of us here right now. 25 years from now I am convinced that these archives will be a treasure trove of information about a very dark time in America's story. By tagging now, we can put context to the story. We can also make it easier for future graduate students to write their papers. Hi Guys and Gals!
(You can help, go to this link http://www.dktags.com/... daily and see what you can help with. Maybe it is a spelling error for a difficult name, maybe you will find something that needs tags added, maybe there are tags that just need commas added)
So to all you cube rats, people busy with families and other life obligations, here is your chance. Now that the kids are in bed, the dishes are as clean as they will get today, you are finally at the top of your priority list... relax and say hi. Pass some mojo to each other and speak your piece. Here are the rules...
- There are no rules in this diary, just suggestions.
- Mojo at your own risk. Some closet trolls may come to these things just to get mojo they wouldn't deserve otherwise. When in doubt, search their profile to see what else they have said in the past.
- Use it as an open thread to say things you feel are important but nobody ever seems to hear you when you say it.
- Check back in tomorrow at this time to see what happened in the comments after you went to sleep. We are all on different schedules, I'd like to see this thing live longer than 3 or 4 hours so we can get participation from those in Hawaii, Fiji, Taiwan (my old stomping grounds), Sweden (hi Ragnar!), Switzerland, Egypt, and the early risers in Nova Scotia.
- Tip well and leave multiple comments so you can be tipped in return.
- No pictures, some people are on dialup and that gets tedious quickly.
- Be polite
Thanks for letting me get it off my chest, I hope I don't sound bitter. I really am not, just frustrated sometimes because I can't be here in the thick of it more often. Hugs and kisses to all of my Dkos friends I have never met.