Ron Paul has been attracting support from some unlikely quarters, mainly due to ignorance of his positions on anything much but Iraq. You may know the man is crazy, but convincing others is the task.
So, without further ado, here (greatly condensed from the definitive take-down at Orcinus) are some concrete positions he's taken to cite when you want to push back against your Paul-bot in-laws, co-workers, and assorted acquaintances:
- Ron Paul wants the US to withdraw from the UN or at least from UNESCO.
- Ron Paul has authored legislation saying that life begins at conception, to prevent federal money from being spent on family planning (that would include contraception), and has tried to amend the Constitution to "guarantee the right to life."
- Ron Paul has tried to repeal the Occupational Health and Safety Act, to abolish the minimum wage, and to eviscerate Social Security.
- Ron Paul wants guns in schools.
- Ron Paul has tried to repeal the Davis-Bacon Act to guarantee employees of federal contractors the prevailing wage and wants to make it easier to decertify a union.
- Ron Paul wants to amend the Constitution to end birthright citizenship.
- Ron Paul wants to dismantle the Federal Reserve and prepare for a return to the Gold Standard, which would destroy the economy.
This is just the tip of a very big, very crazy iceberg. See the rest at Orcinus.
(Update: Also see this post at Orcinus.)
Update 2: Ron Paul was one of 8 people to vote against the FTC being allowed to establish a do not call registry.