As David Plouffe says...quit hyperventilating about McCain's bounce. You had to know it was coming. Did you expect the GOP to fall flat on it's face during the convention? If we have learned anything over the last 8 years, it is that the GOP is disciplined when it comes to framing it's message and controlling the tempo of events to create momentum. It's time to take a deep breath and get back to business.
Our response to this has been unsettling to say the least. Desperation and panic seem to pervade most of the diaries around here. So lets all take a deep breath and get back to basics...
- Pony up. Our response to the McCain bounce must be to reach in our pockets and give till it hurts. Good government does not come cheap and if that is what we want we must be willing to pay for it. The Obama campaign needs money to get it's message and our message out in a pervasive way. If you are upset with the lies and distortions of the McCain campaign...fight back in the one way that can truly make a difference...Donate now! We must not be outspent this time!
- Volunteer. Contact the campaign and spend time making calls. I happen to live in a Red state and know that nothing I do locally will make much difference. But when I volunteer and make calls to battle ground states, I can make a difference.
- Quit searching for that pony at the bottom of the Palin tank...Yes I know there is a whole lot of crap in there but quit jumping on every little rumor or story. It is counter productive and makes us look like a bunch of scared losers.
- Buck up. Show some fight. Don't let the GOP take this from us...it's too important. Take time off and go to a rally...show some enthusiasm. If you don't think it matters...well you are wrong. If you want to be a winner, start acting like winners.
- If you live in a battle ground state...get out there and canvas. Voting registration deadlines are nearing and one way to change the dynamic of the race is to register more Democratic voters. The Obama campaign got to this point by winning the ground game. Now is not the time to simply forget that and start flinging long in the hopes of some dramatic play. Get back to basics...hit the bricks and help stump for votes.
- Get ready for the game...volunteer to drive people to the polls on election day...volunteer to work phone banks...be prepared to scratch for every vote you can. We are in a tough fight and we must be prepared to do everything we can to win it...the stakes are just to high.