I'm sure you're all getting lots of crazy Obama email. I somehow miss out on most of this email because uh...I don't have any crazy wingnuts in my family and because I don't befriend Republicans (maybe that's mean, but honestly, who has the time). Either way, I'm one of those lucky few who doesn't have to deal with dumb "Obama is a Muslim", "the bad economy is the Democrats' fault", and "Obama is the antichrist" emails - and whatever other ones happen to be out there that I'm presently unaware of.
Today I got two forward emails. One came from my sister - it was amusing and pro-Obama, the other came from our very own Light Emitting Pickle! LEP had received an email from an American person she knows and it needed debunking (and I needed a Top Comments topic!), so I figured we could have fun and debunk this one together! That way, anyone who receives this email in the future - can just respond with our very own message that tells the truth instead.
Let's get started!
Here is the text of the email (please pardon the yelling below - easy to get carried away with the CAPS LOCK SOMETIMES!!):
Kinda says it all!!
Seven & a half years!
George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six the economy
A little over one year ago:
- Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
- Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
- The unemployment rate was 4.5%.
- The DOW JONES hit a record high -- 14,000+
- American's were buying new cars, taking cruises and vacations overseas,
But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democratic
Congress & yep -- we got 'CHANGE' all right!
- Consumer confidence has plummeted;
- Gasoline is now around $4 a gallon;
- Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
- Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 trillion dollars &
prices are still dropping;
- 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
- THE DOW is probing another low ~11,300 -- $2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS
EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIOS!
YEP, IN 2006 AMERICA VOTED FOR CHANGE! AND WE GOT IT! A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS,
NANCY PELOSI. HARRY REID.
Now the Democrats' candidate for president -- and the polls say he's gonna
be 'the man' -- claims he's gonna really give us change! Just how much more
'change' do you think you can stand?
Have a very nice day.
Here are some ideas for responses - add your own in the comments please!!
How much change can we stand - indeed! Let's look at what changed from the Clinton years to the Bush years!
- Consumer confidence today looks similar to what it looked like when George Bush Sr. was President! I'm thinking that means something, and it isn't the Democrats that everyone is blaming for a bad economy, it's the Republicans are some takeaways from the post:
In a section of the poll released last week, 54% of respondents said Democratic candidate Barack Obama would better handle the economy than Republican rival John McCain. Only 43% said McCain's policies would be better for the economy.
Welcome to the Bush Ownership Society!
- When I bought my car in 2000, I could fill my 11 gallon tank on $11.00. Today, it costs me about $40.00. What has changed since then? When did gas prices go up? When Phil Gramm, McCain's best friend and advisor, deregulated the energy industry. And then of course, let's not forget that oil money from Iraq was supposed to pay for the war there. So far, it hasn't paid for much of anything outside of theinsurgency. Just in case you're wondering where my $44.00 is going, oil companies are raking in record profits every quarter.
- Unemployment is high and people need relief and help so they don't lose their homes - the Republican response? Block an extension on unemployment benefits.
- Home equity dropped. Why? Foreclosures. Phil Gramm helped to deregulate the financial industry and relax rules that stopped banks from participating in predatory lending. Banks were allowed to prey on people who couldn't afford homes, and now we have the subprime mortgage crisis and over 1 millions homes have been subject to foreclosure.
Even Alan Greenspan calls this the worst economy he's ever seen, and notes that we can't afford McCain's planned tax cuts.
On the other hand, 95% of Americans will receive a tax cut from Barack Obama's plan.
Here are some Top Comments:
bink makes a funny.
Ed G starts off a pretty amusing thread.
This comment from Snud in Zwoof's diary is just hilarious!
From Land of Enchantment:
my name is james donated to Obama for the first time, and lots of people in the comments matched or joined him! They're all "top" comments! Go toss in $15 and match James!!
smallfrog saw Biden at a rally today!
kitty tells us who McCain plans on helping through this economic crisis...and it isn't homeowners at risk of losing their homes - shocker!
Paul Delehanty (aka kid oakland) brings us a photo of Scott Kleeb liveblogging here at DKos!
clonecone tells us who the big whiners of the day are.
Tips go to brillig for collecting the Top Mojo:
Top 30 Comments excluding search-identifiable tip jars, first comments and C&J:
1) Biden getting in on the act by Kitty — 283
2) Danke! by grannyhelen — 275
3) Every day I think more about why McCain chose her by Patch Adam — 226
4) I don't perceive this as hostile by trixied13 — 203
5) Palin was chosen to maintain OWNERSHIP... by vets74 — 178
6) He's not the only Democrat by ivorybill — 159
7) That's our big hope by TruthandHope — 153
8) She was a gimmick. by slackjawedlackey — 150
9) Why not let the diarist have the first link? by BentLiberal — 146
10) these photos by noweasels — 130
11) Money quote at 1:25 by ManahManah — 128
12) Yeah Baby! by Muzikal203 — 125
13) This Is Where We Pound 'Em On by mattman — 123
14) This is the SHIT! by kissmygrits — 117
15) Because Little Egos Cannot Stand To Not Be First by freepress4all — 114
16) I just can't explain how scared I am for our by such sweet thunder — 110
17) This one has a bit more analysis, too. by darthstar — 109
18) "if all you do is walk the halls of power... by geejay — 108
19) Honor, what honor? Integrity what integrity? by testvet6778 — 106
20) Yes, the chickens by TomP — 102
21) I think at this point it's awesome. by kissmygrits — 99
22) Could you add how Virginia starts early voting... by JeffLieber — 98
23) Virginia is for Obamers by sea2008 — 97
24) I rec'd this diary because by allie123 — 94
25) I understand how to read my cell phone bill by Lava20 — 91
26) I am so tired of juvenille grammer cops . . . . by freepress4all — 90
27) Like I said before by Muzikal203 — 86
28) . . . by Muzikal203 — 86
29) Note that if you really pay attention by Penman — 86
30) Paul Begala said to hit McCain by Drdemocrat — 85
Top 30 comments with no exclusions:
1) Tips by Dick Diver — 843
2) Pickle Jar by huntsu — 834
3) tip jar by oldbookguy — 760
4) Tips for news of the Obama bounce? by MoronMike — 693
5) TJ n/t by South Chamber Denizen — 691
6) Play time is over. by 8ackgr0und N015e — 602
7) Tip Jar - 15 September by Jerome a Paris — 473
8) Tips and Flames by freepress4all — 426
9) Tips/Recs by icebergslim — 397
10) Urinal/Spittoon by The Baculum King — 386
11) Tips for by david mizner — 362
12) Biden getting in on the act by Kitty — 283
13) tips by tassojunior — 278
14) Danke! by grannyhelen — 275
15) Ooooooh! by WarrenS — 242
16) Every day I think more about why McCain chose her by Patch Adam — 226
17) Just amazing. nt by iconoclastic cat — 215
18) I don't perceive this as hostile by trixied13 — 203
19) Palin was chosen to maintain OWNERSHIP... by vets74 — 178
20) Very effective ads by Harlock415 — 169
21) Tips and Recs by foxsucks81 — 160
22) Tips for transparency by iliketodrum — 159
23) He's not the only Democrat by ivorybill — 159
24) That's our big hope by TruthandHope — 153
25) She was a gimmick. by slackjawedlackey — 150
26) Why not let the diarist have the first link? by BentLiberal — 146
27) Tips for strong women n/t by grannyhelen — 137
28) So much for by pademocrat — 130
29) these photos by noweasels — 130
30) Money quote at 1:25 by ManahManah — 128
Update: Join my Facebook group, Know Your McCain!