For AMERICANS ABROAD whose voting residence is
Illinois, Nevada, South Carolina, Alaska, Mississippi, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, or Virginia --
MONDAY OCT 6 is the effective deadline for your state, to register/request an absentee ballot!
Missouri closes October 8! And New York closes Oct 10!*
It is still not too late to register! If you ACT FAST you can get your application in on time!
Follow me after the jump...
USE VOTEFROMABROAD.ORG TO REGISTER/REQUEST AN ABSENTEE BALLOT IN JUST MINUTES!
- Go to VoteFromAbroad.org and answer the questions.**
- PRINT the entire document generated (PDF file).
- SIGN AND DATE the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) on page 4. This is the absentee ballot registration/request.
4. FAX IT with the cover sheet provided on page 3 to the Federal Voter Assistance Program in the US: +1 (703) 693 5527. Faxing the FPCA here will have it count as received by your local elections official.
- The original FPCA must still be mailed in to your local election official listed on page 1 for your vote to count.
NOW, YOU ALSO CAN MAIL IN YOUR BALLOT REQUEST WITH A VOTED 'BACK UP BALLOT'!
Once you have faxed in the FPCA, you can send in a voted FWAB with your FPCA original.
- Vote the Federal Write in Ballot (FWAB), the 'back up ballot', by following the directions on pages 5-9.
- Place your voted FWAB in a sealed Security Envelope (any blank envelope will do), and then place it with the signed and dated Voter Affirmation/Declaration (page 6), as well as the signed and dated FPCA in a single Return Envelope addressed to the local elections official listed on Page 1. Be sure to write your name and overseas mailing address on the return envelope. When mailing a ballot, it is very important that this envelope have an overseas postmark.
- If/when you receive your state ballot, vote it and send it in by election day -- your vote will not be double counted!
If you need further assistance, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org -- cc me email@example.com, and I can also try to help follow up!
To check state deadlines:Click here for State Deadlines
To look up current candidates for your state: http://www.VoteSmart.org Enter your 9 digit zip code in the upper left. Scroll to the bottom of the page, where it lists CURRENT CANDIDATES. You can vote by candidate name or by party.
To look up your 9-digit zip code: Enter your voting address here.
**The Obama Campaign encourages the use of both VoteFromAbroad and OverseasVoteFoundation. The steps here reflect the VFA process, which I know contains info on how to fax directly in to the FVAP.