I have a stock response to the more wingnutty of my Repugnant neighbors and acquaintances. Some of these acquaintances are actually voting for McShame/Painful (Nonoe of my family, finally. Thank God). In the past I have tried to ignore their pitiful email forwards.
Then someone sent me the list below. I would love to give credit to the original writer (UPDATE: John Ridley at HuffPo, link below the fold), but I received it anonymously. If you want to take credit for it, post in the comments.
Anyway, rather than address the specific nonsense I receive, these days I just paste this list in and hit send. Usually this response gets me off their spam distribution list.
I've posted versions of this as a comment to other diaries here and one of my friends said I should diary it.
So here it is. Cut, paste, and send if it works for you. At least it has cut down the wingnut garbage I receive.
UPDATE 1: Thanks to bubbanomics for crediting to John Ridley at HuffPo who had the start of this list up September 3rd.
- If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your single mother and grandparents, you're "exotic, different."
- If you grow up in Alaska eating moose burgers, you're a quintessential American story.
- If your name is Barack, you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
- If you name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.
- If you graduate from Harvard Law School, you are unstable.
- If you drop out of four different small colleges before graduating from the fifth, you're well grounded.
- If you spend three years as a community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend eight years as a State Senator representing a district with over 260,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works, and Veteran's Affairs committees, and then create and manage the most organized political campaign in history, itself a multi-million dollar enterprise,you don't have any real leadership experience.
- If your total resume is: local weather girl, four years on the city council and six years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, accused of abuse of power as mayor, found guilty of abuse of power as governor, currently under further investigation for more abuse of power as governor, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.
- If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising two beautiful daughters, all within mainstream Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.
- If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, dumped your disfigured wife and your children, then married the heiress the following month, you're definitely a Christian.
- If your former pastor from this country's oldest mainline Protestant denomination, an ex-Marine who helped save a President's life, denounces past racism in America, you are guilty by association of being "unAmerican."
- If your pastor lays hands on you to prays to secure you high government office and protect you from witchcraft, you are "born again."
- If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.
- If you staunchly advocate abstinence only, charge rape victims for the cost of testing their criminal rapists, provide no option in sex education in your state's school system, while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.
- If your spouse is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent America's.
- If your spouse is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction, no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25, once was a card-carrying member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, and used your elected office to orchestrate a continuing personal vendetta, your family is extremely admirable.
- If you live in the same city and served on a charity board with a leading education professor who did something bad when you were eight years old, you "pall around" with terrorists.
- If a good friend of yours held a fundraiser for you, wanted to bomb the Brookings Institution and assassinate public figures, was convicted of conspiracy, burglary and illegal wiretapping, and his name is G. Gordon Liddy, then both you and he are real American Heroes!
- If you not only supported but once managed a slush fund for a convicted felon, you are a reformer.
OK, much more clear now. Thanks, I get it.