Cross-posted on Michigan Liberal
I've been somewhat busy preparing for finals and doing other assorted fun and quasi-productive things, and I haven't had much chance to talk about the auto industry crisis/bailout attempt.
I guess that's not a bad thing, since Mark Phelan and Virg Bernero are doing a pretty darn good job of it.
Phelan's column in the Detroit Free Press pretty much shoots holes in the lame excuses bailout opponents are offering. Those myths?
- "Nobody buys their vehicles"
- "They build unreliable junk"
- "They build gas-guzzlers"
- "They already got a $25-billion bailout"
- "GM, Ford and Chrysler are idiots for investing in pickups and SUVs"
- "They don't build hybrids"
- "Their union workers are lazy and overpaid"
Then there's this interview of Mayor Virg Bernero of Lansing, Michigan, on yesterday's Washington Journal on C-SPAN.
Enjoy the truth - it's refreshing!