Last years democratics win very much of races in Ohio, and i glad very much for see Ohio much more blue, but until now we not can tell Ohio be or will be a blue state. Ohio can return again to republicans.
In 2010 will be elections for Senate and for Governor in Ohio. We have incunbent republican in senate and incunbent democratic in guvernatorial race. I hope 2010 be good year for blues in Ohio. Not will be easy but can be.
Republican senator and former governor and mayor of Cleveland G Voinovich is now the highest level republican in Ohio, and seems vulnerable in next elections. This is very good new. We will can defeat G Voinovich? Ohio will be a blue state?
This is the list of possible democratic candidates:
- Ted Strickland: OH 1941 Governor of Ohio 07- . USHRep 93-95 and 97-07. Lost for House 76 78 80 and 94.
- Timothy J Ryan: OH 1973 USHRep 03- .
- Marcia Carolin Kaptur: OH 1946 USHRep USHRep 83- .
- Betty Sue Sutton: OH 1963 USHRep 07- .
- Zachary T Space: OH 1961 USHRep 07- .
- John Boccieri: OH 1969 USHRep 09- .
- Steven L Driehaus: OH 1966 USHRep 09- .
- Dennis John Kucinich: OH 1946 USHRep 97- . Mayor of Cleveland 78-79. Lost for President 04 and 08. Lost for House 88 and 92. Lost for Mayor of Cleveland 78 (against Voinovich). Lost for OH Senate 82 (against Sherrod Brown). Lost for OH House 72 and 74.
- Marcia L Fudge: OH 1952 USHRep 08- .
- Charlie Wilson: OH 1943 USHRep 07- .
- Mary Jo Kilroy: OH 1949 USHRep 09- . Lost for House 06. Lost for OH Senate 96.
- Dennis Edward Eckart: OH 1950 USHRep 81-93.
- Edward F Feighan: OH 1947 USHRep 83-93. Lost for Mayor of Cleveland 77 (against Kucinich).
- Thomas Charles Sawyer: OH 1945 USHRep 87-03. Lost for House 02 and 06 (against Ryan and Sutton).
- Charles J Luken: OH 1951 USHRep 91-93. Mayor of Cincinnati 84-91 99-05. Lost for council of Cincinnati 79.
- Eric David Fingerhut: OH 1959 USHRep 93-95. Lost for Senate 04. Lost for Governor 06. Lost for House 94.
- Lee Fisher: MI OH 1951 Lieutenant Governor of Ohio 07- . OH Attorney General 91-95. Lost for Governor 98. Lost for OH Attorney General 94.
- Kevin Boyce: OH 1971 OH State Treasurer 09- .
- Jennifer Lee Brunner: OH 1957 OH Secretary of State 07- .
- Richard Cordray: OH 1959 OH Attorney General 09. OH State Treasurer 07-09. Lost for Senate 00. Lost for OH Attorney General 98. Lost for OH House 92.
Long list. Like we can see in this list, democratic candidates live hard years in Ohio, with much losts and victories too. But in last years appear new generation of young candidates who win few more easyly.
In 2010 governor Ted Strickland end their first term like governor. And he seems the strongest democratic in Ohio now (with senator Sherrod Brown). With Kaptur, Fisher, Kucinich and Cordray we can tell they are the survivors from old generation of democratic candidates.
George Voinovich seems vulnerable but not is weak candidate. Defeat Voinovich is defeat all the old generation of republicans in this state, and that is possible but will be hard.
Maybe Ted Strickland like run against Voinovich? Strickland can win republican incunbent? Other democratic candidate can win?. I think maybe Strickland can defeat Voinovich more easy, but other young candidate can have serious problems for win. Brunner (betwen the 2 generations) appear like the candidate with better polls against Voinovich, and seems she can defeat Voinovich but not easy. I think can be interesting see what think the people about this possible race between Voinovich and Strickland.
In a 0-10 scale, like this:
--- 00,000 ---
--- 01,429 ---
--- 02,857 ---
--- 04,286 ---
--- 05,714 ---
--- 07,142 ---
--- 08,571 ---
--- 10,000 ---
OH-Sen: G Voinovich (R-1936) vs T Strickland (D-1941) ? aft 28 votes = 06,310 => Leans Dem
LA-Sen: D Vitter (R-1961) vs J Breaux (D-1944) ? after 32 votes = 05,521 => Toss-Up
KY-Sen: J Bunning (R-1931) vs ? after 30 votes = 05,278 => Toss-Up
MO-Sen: K Bond (R-1939) vs ? after 24 votes = 05,069 => Toss-Up
2 LA-Sen: D Vitter (R-1961) vs M Landrieu (D-1960) ? after 31 votes = 04,946 => Toss-Up
OK-Sen: T Coburn (R-1948) vs B Henry (D-1963) ? after 46 votes = 03,804 => Leans Republican
IA-Sen: C Grassley (R-1933) vs C Culver (D-1966) ? aft 21 votes = 03,571 => Leans Republican
AZ-Sen: J McCain (R-1936) vs ? after 45 votes = 02,370 => Likely Republican
And for see about other difficult races for democratics like:
AK-Sen L Murkovski (R-1957) vs T Knowles (D-1943) ?
SD-Sen J Thune (R-1961) vs ?
ID-Sen M Crapo (R-1951) vs ?
SC-Sen J DeMint (R-1951) vs J Hodges (D-1956) ?
AL-Sen R Shelby (R-1934) vs J Folsom (D-1949) ?
GA-Sen J Isakson (R-1944) vs ?
UT-Sen R Bennett (R-1933) vs ?
All the polls are open.
PS: This diary will be updated when the number of votes go up.