We Must Have a Special Prosecutor appointed to indict Bush officials who have broken Federal Laws, violated our Constitution and the Geneva Convention. (Instead Of a Blue Ribbon Commission)
A major national effort is being made to push Congress, the DOJ and the Obama administration to have a Special Prosecutor appointed to control the investigation, indictment and prosecution of any Bush Administration appointees that broke Federal Laws, our Constitution, and the Geneva Convention on Torture.
Please sign and or endorse these petitions and letters to Holder and Leahy
And Pass This information on to all activist groups you know of, both local and national and ask them to endorse it as a group and then to pass this on to their members with a recommendation to sign the petitions.
The commission gambit has historically been used by Presidents and Congress to bury the truth, deflect criticism, silence or control those wanting a President/Congress to act, and let the guilty off the hook. The Statute of Limitations starts to run out in March. We must act now!
There is plenty of evidence of their crimes already in the public domain and Bush and Cheney have both admitted publicly that they authorized Torture in violation of Federal Law, Treaties and the Geneva Convention on Torture. If anyone says they don't have enough evidence to appoint a Special Prosecutor THEY ARE LYING!
Any additional investigation needed can come in the normal process of the Special Prosecutor preparing for Indictments against Bush, Cheney, or their appointees. Above all else, the process must be managed by a Special Prosecutor who will follow the truth, instead of political appointees to a commission, who will certainly bury the truth forever. Sen. Leahy & Rep. John Conyers' well intentioned "commissions" will be nothing but a white wash and a burial for all time of the truth.
We all need to work together for the next few weeks to get a Special Prosecutor Appointed, rather than having a commission.
We have some great efforts being made by activist groups.
You can help by Sending these links to all progressive groups you know of and asking them to
- Have their Group (or yours) Endorse this Letter to Attorney General Holder: ( over 150 groups have endorsed so far)
- Next, Sign the Center for Constitutional Rights' Petition http://tinyurl.com/... calling for accountability and criminal prosecutions of officials responsible for torture and war crimes. After doing that, go to http://tinyurl.com/... and send a quick email to Sen. Leahy and the Senate Judiciary Committee calling for them to support prosecutions, and to oppose any immunity for the architects of these torture programs.
- Sign the Petition To Prosecute at
A few days ago this petition had over 63,000 signers. Add Your name!
- Ask each local/national group of which you are aware of, or a member of, to forward these urls to their members with the leadership's recommendation to sign and/or endorse.
- May we suggest you download this Fact Sheet
by the Center for Constitutional Rights. It is a well written explanation of the need for prosecution that can be cheaply photocopied and handed out at high pedestrian traffic locations, to educate the public. We suggest that you add our url, http://AngryVoters.org to the top of it before you photocopy so the public can have access to all of the petitions.
- You may send an email directly to US Attorney General Holder at the US Justice Department asking him to appoint a Special Prosecutor by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org
IF WE ALL get involved now, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
This is the critical opportunity to push Congress and the Obama Administration to do the right thing, to prosecute Bush, Cheney and appointees now, so that future Presidents will obey our Federal Laws, our Constitution and Treaties, and avoid unnecessary wars and damage to our economy by abuse of power.
Obama said, "no one is above the law". Make Obama and Congress live up to that ideal.
Note: The IndictBushNow.org people were the ones who delivered an Impeach Petition with 1,100,000 signatures to Rep. John Conyers, Chariman of the House Judiciary Committee (who refused to hold impeachment hearings or bring the resolutions up for debate). IndictBushNow.org is making a difference. Join/Support Them. Note: These links and more prosecution related information can be found at http://AngryVoters.org