It's over here in Virginia. Virginia Democrats are NOT fielding candidates for the offices of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, or Attorney General.
How do I know?? Read on.
This will make more sense to you if you are familiar with the Virginia Northern Neck or Middle Peninsula. If not, get a map and follow along.
The Old Redneck lives in Northumberland County, VA, along the Potomac River where it joins the Chesapeake Bay. Since the 15th of June, the Old Redneck has made the following road trips:
- THREE TRIPS: Heathsville - Burgess - Kilmarnock - Gloucester - Williamsburg and back.
- TWO TRIPS: Heathsville - Burgess - Kilmarnock - Gloucester - Williamsburg - Newport News and back.
- THREE TRIPS: Heathsville - Callao - Warsaw - Tappahannock - Port Royal - Fredericksburg - Thornburg and back.
- ONE TRIP: Heathsville - Callao - Warsaw - Tappahannock - Port Royal - Fredericksburg - Thornburg - Fredericksburg - Goldvein - Catlett - Manassas and back.
- WEEKLY TRIP: Heathsville - Burgess - Wicomico Church - Kilmarnock and back.
In all these trips, in all this driving the main roads and back roads and side streets of the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula and Northern Virginia, the Old Redneck HAS NOT SEEN ONE, NOT ONE, NOT A SINGLE bumper sticker, yard sign, billboard, or any other type of advertising for Deeds, Wagner, or Shannon. Not one. Nothing. Zip.
Meanwhile, on every one of my trips, I have seen dozens of McDonnell bumper stickers, yard signs, and 4X8 signs -- Hunters for McDonnell, Veterans for McDonnell. In the village of Wicomico Church there is a big 4X8 sign for McDonnell with a number for you to send a text message to sign up for his text updates on your cell phone.
Frequently when the Old Redneck opens the WashPost website, up pops a McDonnell for Governor ad. Never have seen a Deeds ad. Ditto for the Raw Story website. Seems as though the McDonnell campaign has some sort of application on at least the WashPost and Raw Story sites that checks my IP address, recognizes where I am, and pops up an ad for McDonnell.
And what makes this worse is that, for the past six weeks, I have sent emails EVERY OTHER DAY to the Deeds, Wagner, and Shannon campaigns (through their websites) and to the VA Democratic Party pleading for a few bumper stickers, yard signs, anything. NOT A SINGLE RESPONSE. ZIP. NOTHING.
All of which leads the Old Redneck to conclude that the Democrats have withdrawn from the Virginia races for Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General.