Joe Wilson got to Yell, I had to Hold This Handmade Sign
Joe "It's a lie" Wilson and Louie "What Bill?" Gohmert were not the only Republican members of Congress behaving badly last night during one of the most compelling speeches in history by a POTUS. Plenty of other members of Congress honestly believed this was a Town Hall meeting last night. The elementary and middle school kids would have been suspended had they interrupted the President like this on Tuesday. We count at least half a dozen others that should have been sentenced to out of school suspension or at least detention.
Check out the boorish behavior below the thread. Young (for Republicans anyways) and old. Leaders and followers. Those bald and those with hair. All White men.
- John Shimkus (Illinois Republican) - He had to get up and leave when he remembered that his mom didn't sign his permission slip - Shimkus already hit the rec list so no surprise here
- Shimkus wasn't the only one that left early - Patrick McHenry also slipped out the back having to step over and around some of his colleagues - he was three seats down from his buddy Joe Wilson
This morning, McHenry spokesman Brock McCleary said the congressman did indeed leave a few moments early "to beat the rush."
"The Congressman heard the end of the speech from the cloakroom at the back of the chamber," McCleary said.
McHenry is a well known McDoofus
- Then there is Eric Cantor, who pulls out the Blackberry, trying to beat his high score on Brickbreaker. Good job on getting 100k points Minority Whip.
- and 5. - Notice next to Cantor: on one side you have Thaddeus McCotter (R-MI) making Teabagger faces and on the other - John Boehner (R-Ohio) looking like he's in detention for chewing gum. Boner - BTW(I mean Boehner) is the Minority Leader.
McCotter denounced Wilson of course - I hope someone shows him some of the faces he was making
"I thought it was a breach of the decorum," McCotter said in a live interview on WWJ Newsradio 950, "I thought it was very unnecessary and wrong. And my colleague, Joe Wilson, has since apologized, as he should have," he said.
- Then there is 86 year old Ralph Hall (TX-04), a member of Congress since 1980, (I think John Mica of Fla is in front) - and one of our Progressive Electorate targets in 2008. Just imagine the amount of rehearsing that went on getting Hall to remember to hold up the paper. Thirty years in Congress and you don't know any better?
h/t to Scarce at Big Orange for this pic
Obama should have said - Yes stay in school and learn something kids so you don't end up like these goofballs and overgrown college kids. Then you might embarrass yourself on national television like these guys whose names I don't even know and their constituents probably don't either.