Since there isn't a current ShelterBox diary today, and there are still matching funds available that run out tonight, I'm posting this to provide a place for those who still want to donate to the ShelterBox effort, now helping out in both Haiti and Chile. Yesterday we completed ShelterBox #130 - thanks to all who have contributed to this effort. As a result, 1300 people in Haiti have received shelter and supplies. Here are some links where you can help out, if you're so inclined, and others to give you a sense of the good that ShelterBox is doing.
Here is the Secure donation page
ShelterBox home page
To find out more about how you can help, follow along to the rest of the diary below.
Note: At present, there are still some matching funds available to match your donations, but they are dwindling. See the comments below for details.
Here is a photo of ShelterBox tents set up in Haiti:
Here is a video of ShelterBox deploying tents in Jacmel, Haiti:
With the 8.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Chile last weekend, ShelterBox is responding with aid to Chile as well:
ShelterBox Response Team arrive in Chile.
A three-person ShelterBox Response Team (SRT) has arrived in Chile after a massive earthquake rocked the country last weekend.
They had to travel through Argentina and across the Andes in order to reach Chile’s capital Santiago and are now pulling out all the stops to establish where ShelterBoxes are most needed.
448 ShelterBoxes have already been committed to Chile and more look set to follow
What's in a ShelterBox? They are customized for the locale where they will be deployed, but here is the basic content:
How can you help? We want to make this easy so here's what you do (h/t Bugsby):
- Use one of the links at the top of this diary to get to a donation page. For on-line donations, there are two places to acknowledge Daily Kos: the "In Honor of" section, or the Comments box further down. You can do either or both.
- Once your donation has been made, come back here and post a comment at the bottom of the thread so we can add the donation to the Daily Kos total. Please put the dollar amount in the subject line to help us find it easier. That way we can give you mojo for your gift and confirm any matching funds. ;)
- People who don't want to report publicly, or who don't have a Daily Kos account (hi, lurkers!), can always email TexMex, who will then report the amounts for them (anonymously if desired.) To find her email address click her name in orange anywhere in the diary, or in her user profile.
Now suppose you've got some money you'd like to offer as an incentive to bring in donations. Here's how that's done:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the comments.
- Post a comment about your intentions. Use the subject line stating how much you have available in matching funds.
- State the terms of your match. For instance, if you have $50 which you'd like to use to encourage small donors to participate, you might say you'll match gifts between $5 and $10 up to a total of $50.
- Check back and read the comments following your offer, to see if you've had any takers. The nice folks monitoring this diary will help you keep track. Once your $50 is fully matched, then you follow the link to ShelterBox and donate your 50 bucks.
There is much more information on the ongoing efforts in Haiti and Chile elsewhere in other diaries. Note that while the problems in Haiti have faded from the MSM, they still exist, and many people still need help. If you are able to help, please consider doing so. There will continue to be many needs over the next few days and weeks, so you may also want to consider donating to other organizations as well.