You are in the current BP disaster ROV, number 59. Number 58 is here.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, rather REC THE MOTHERSHIP instead. She needs your love to stay afloat.
Please be kind to kossacks with bandwidth issues. Please do not post images or videos. Again, many thanks for this.
PLEASE visit Crashing Vor's diary to find out how you can help the Gulf now and in the future. We don't have to be idle! And thanks to Crashing Vor for working on this!
For a description of the mothership/ROV liveblogging process, check out this thread.
BP put up a video explaining the LMRP procedure and the future plans.
- NOAA Opens 16,000 Square Miles of Fishing Closed Area in Gulf of Mexico (and closes 2,200 square miles)
- Watch it live: Government oil spill tracking site launches soon
- Worker on rig saw it coming
- BP Plans $10 Billion Dividend Payout
- BP doesn't want photos of dead animals
- BP hives off 'toxic' Gulf spill operation
- Lab tests confirm underwater layers of oil
- Wednesday night saw an explosion of live feed video links and multi-view pages. Check the video links list for the latest.
This is what BP DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE. The following images are guaranteed to make you .
Important to note these images are not for the faint of heart - DO NOT VIEW THEM LIGHTLY.
Really, I mean it. Hold somebody's hand. Grab a tissue.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, Rec the Mothership here.
cosmic debris put together a comprehensive list of links on oil health and safety info:
- 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Crisis WIki
- NIH National Library of Medicine Crude oil spills and Health
- ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPH): ToxFAQs™
- CDC Emergency Preparedness and Response: 2010 Gulf of Mexico
Includes fact sheets and health and safety information for Gulf Coast Residents, Response Workers, and Health Professionals
- Reducing Occupational Exposures while Working with Dispersants During the Gulf Oil Spill Response
- EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico
Includes Air Monitoring Data Reports, Daily Average Particulate Matter, Air Sampling Data Files, Real-time Air Monitoring (including TAGA data), and Downloadable data set of hourly air monitoring
Here is a tutorial on the sources of pressure on the well
Thanks to Tomtech for attributing and h/t to Pluto for finding this: Here is an excellent image of what is supposed to exist under the wellhead. Take the comments from Halliburton with a grain of salt since this is part of their "blame those two" PR campaign.
Images giving a rough idea of what's in place now and status of the kill wells
The video feeds we are watching:
The best multi-view feed Be patient as load time may take a bit.
BP Video Feed
CNN Video Streams Note: multi-view is sometimes unavailable.
PBS This PBS feed is security compliant.
Markey's multi-view page
BP videos Links to all available live feeds from BP.
WKRG - Mobile/Pensacola (Contains link for an iPhone app at the bottom.)
ABC 7 Chicago Live Video Multiple ROV Camera Views (h/t to temptxan for the great find).
Vote For America's awesome clickable multi-view Courtesy of one of our very own Kossacks.
And thanks to geeks at The Oil Drum, perhaps a complete list of all possible video feed sources, for Windows Media Player:
BP "Official" #1
BP "Official" #2
BP mystery feed #1
BP mystery feed #2
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-14 #1
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-14 #2
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-6 #1
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-6 #1
SS7? Herc6? #1
SS7? Herc6? #2
SS7? Herc6? #3
Veolia/XLX 36 #1
Veolia/XLX 36 #2
Oceaneering mill21 q4000 upper extension
Oceaneering mill21 q4000 upper extension duplicate?
Enterprise ROV #2
Enterprise ROV #2 backup
Boa ROV #1
Boa ROV #1 backup
Again, to keep bandwidth down please do not post images or videos.
Links, courtesy of several Kossacks
- Visualize the spill
- dov12348's Ocean currents, wind currents, and hurricane links
- World newspapers oil section
- The Oil Drum
- Oil & Gas Journal
- Offshore Magazine
- Petroleum News
- Your Oil and Gas News
- World Oil
- Administration response to spill.
- Donate to SkyTruth here. SkyTruth helps environmental NGOs use remote sensing (pictures taken from space) and digital mapping to improve their scientific credibility, conservation decisionmaking, communications and public outreach.
- Images of the Oilpacalypse, from Tomtech.
- Visit the Oil Spill Crisis Map to see where oil, mousse, tar balls, and eau de crude have been reported on the Gulf coast.
- The BP Deepwater Horizon Unified Command official website. Wherein you can read latest post warning of employment scams associated with the event and much more from the folks handling this.
- Timeline of response here.
- Timeline of the Event from April 20th being maintained by blogroots.
- Department of Energy BP Deepwater Horizon Spill site updates.
- Bit Tooth Energy blog (technical discussions) by the famed Heading Out, well known key poster on The Oil Drum blog site.
- Department of Interior BP Deepwater Horizon Response site provides updates, reports, data, links to pictures, etc.
- Rigzone for specific disaster news and news about the offshore industry, in general.
- BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Quantitative Data - from whitis
- Courtesy of profgoose here is a list of links from The Oil Drum links on newer developments, etc
- Maritime ship tracking -- courtesy of johnsonwax
- U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spil
- NOAA Spill tracking site
- ERMA: Environmental Response Management Application
- BP has a good diagram of the cutting process that partially succeeded
- Documents show BP chose a less-expensive, less-reliable method for completing well in Gulf oil spill
Previous liveblog ROV diaries:
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 58 -RhymesWithUrple
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 57 - Detroit Mark
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 56 - Yasuragi
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 55 - Groucho Marxist
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 54 - khowell
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 53 - Yasuragi
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 52 - hester
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 51 - Tomtech
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 50 - peraspera
BP Liveblog ROV 49 - middleagedhousewife
BP Liveblog ROV 48 - politik
BP Liveblog ROV 47 - Lusty
BP Liveblog ROV 46 - Pam LaPier
BP Liveblog ROV 45 - khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 44 - Pakalolo
BP Liveblog ROV 43 - Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 42 - Garrett
BP Liveblog ROV 41 - Yasuragi
BP Liveblog ROV 40 - hester
BP Liveblog ROV 39 - OpMama
BP Liveblog ROV 38 - Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 37 - khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 36 - splashy
BP Liveblog ROV 35 - conchita
BP Liveblog ROV 34 - OpMama
BP Liveblog ROV 33 - yawnimawke
BP Liveblog ROV 32 - Pam LaPier
BP Liveblog ROV 31 - splashy
BP Liveblog ROV 30 - nika7k
BP Liveblog ROV 29 - khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 28 - Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 27 - Yasuragi
BP Liveblog ROV 26 - Alkalinesky
BP Liveblog ROV 25 - Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 24 - hester
BP Liveblog ROV 23 - nika7k
BP Top Kill Liveblog ROV 22 - papicek
BP Top Kill Liveblog ROV 21 - weatherdude
BP Top Kill Liveblog ROV 20 - joanneleon
BP Top Kill Liveblog ROV 19 - nika7k
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 18 - yawnimawke
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 17 - weatherdude
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 16 - politik
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 15 - RhymesWithUrple
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 14 - johnsonwax
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 13 - Middleagedhousewife
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 12 - nika7k
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 11 - Overseas
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 10 - conchita
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 9 - khowell
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 8 - Garrett
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 7 - miep
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 6 - Alkalinesky
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 5 - Liveblog
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 4 - Garrett
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 3 - sc kitty
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 2 - conchita
BP Top Kill LiveBlog ROV 1 - khowell
Top Kill has begun! - Tomtech