You are in the current BP disaster ROV, number 55. Number 54 is here.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, rather rec the Mothership REC THE MOTHERSHIP instead. She needs your love to stay afloat.
Please be kind to kossacks with bandwidth issues. Please do not post images or videos. Again, many thanks for this.
PLEASE visit Crashing Vor's diary to find out how you can help the Gulf now and in the future. We don't have to be idle! And thanks to Crashing Vor for working on this!
For a description of the mothership/ROV liveblogging process, check out this thread.
BP put up a video explaining the LMRP procedure and the future plans.
- Watch it live: Government oil spill tracking site launches soon
- Worker on rig saw it coming
- BP Plans $10 Billion Dividend Payout
- BP doesn't want photos of dead animals
- BP hives off 'toxic' Gulf spill operation
- Lab tests confirm underwater layers of oil
- Wednesday night saw an explosion of live feed video links and multi-view pages. Check the video links list for the latest.
THIS IS WHAT BP DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE. THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE GUARANTEED TO MAKE YOU SICK AT HEART. DO NOT VIEW THEM LIGHTLY.
Really, I mean it. Hold somebody's hand. Grab a tissue.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, Rec the Mothership here.
cosmic debris put together a comprehensive list of links on oil health and safety info:
- 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Crisis WIki
- NIH National Library of Medicine Crude oil spills and Health
- ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPH): ToxFAQs™
- CDC Emergency Preparedness and Response: 2010 Gulf of Mexico
Includes fact sheets and health and safety information for Gulf Coast Residents, Response Workers, and Health Professionals
- Reducing Occupational Exposures while Working with Dispersants During the Gulf Oil Spill Response
- EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico
Includes Air Monitoring Data Reports, Daily Average Particulate Matter, Air Sampling Data Files, Real-time Air Monitoring (including TAGA data), and Downloadable data set of hourly air monitoring
Here is a tutorial on the sources of pressure on the well
Here is an excellent image of what is supposed to exist under the wellhead. Take the comments from Halliburton with a grain of salt since this is part of their "blame those two" PR campaign.
The video feeds we are watching:
The best multi-view feed
BP Video Feed
CNN Video Streams - Note: multi-view is sometimes unavailable.
PBS This PBS feed is security compliant
Markey's multi-view page
BP videos - Links to all available live feeds from BP
WKRG - Mobile/Pensacola (contains link for an iPhone app at the bottom)
ABC 7 Chicago Live Video - Multiple ROV Camera Views (h/t to temptxan for the great find)
Vote For America's awesome clickable multi-view
A multi-view with feeds from BP, C-SPAN-2, WKRG, and PBS
Courtesy of whitis here are two additional video links:
And thanks to geeks at The Oil Drum, perhaps a complete list of all possible video feed sources, for Windows Media Player:
BP "Official" #1
BP "Official" #2
BP mystery feed #1
BP mystery feed #2
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-14 #1
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-14 #2
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-6 #1
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-6 #1
SS7? Herc6? #1
SS7? Herc6? #2
SS7? Herc6? #3
Veolia/XLX 36 #1
Veolia/XLX 36 #2
Oceaneering mill21 q4000 upper extension
Oceaneering mill21 q4000 upper extension duplicate?
Enterprise ROV #2
Enterprise ROV #2 backup
Boa ROV #1
Boa ROV #1 backup
Again, to keep bandwidth down please do not post images or videos.
Links, courtesy of several Kossacks
- Visualize the spill
- h/t dov12348's recommended links
- The Oil Drum
- Oil & Gas Journal
- Offshore Magazine
- Petroleum News
- Your Oil and Gas News
- World Oil
- Administration response to spill.
- Donate to SkyTruth here. SkyTruth helps environmental NGOs use remote sensing (pictures taken from space) and digital mapping to improve their scientific credibility, conservation decisionmaking, communications and public outreach.
- Images of the Oilpacalypse, from Tomtech.
- Visit the Oil Spill Crisis Map to see where oil, mousse, tar balls, and eau de crude have been reported on the Gulf coast.
- The BP Deepwater Horizon Unified Command official website. Wherein you can read latest post warning of employment scams associated with the event and much more from the folks handling this.
- Timeline of response here.
- Timeline of the Event from April 20th being maintained by blogroots.
- Department of Energy BP Deepwater Horizon Spill site updates.
- Bit Tooth Energy blog (technical discussions) by the famed Heading Out, well known key poster on The Oil Drum blog site.
- Department of Interior BP Deepwater Horizon Response site provides updates, reports, data, links to pictures, etc.
- Rigzone for specific disaster news and news about the offshore industry, in general.
- BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Quantitative Data - from whitis
- Courtesy of profgoose here is a list of links from The Oil Drum links on newer developments, etc
- Maritime ship tracking -- courtesy of johnsonwax
- U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spil
- NOAA Spill tracking site
- ERMA: Environmental Response Management Application
- BP has a good diagram of the cutting process that partially succeeded
- Documents show BP chose a less-expensive, less-reliable method for completing well in Gulf oil spill
Previous liveblog ROV diaries:
BP Liveblog ROV 54 -khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 53 -Yasuragi
BP Liveblog ROV 52 -hester
BP Liveblog ROV 51 -Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 50 -peraspera
BP Liveblog ROV 49 -middleagedhousewife
BP Liveblog ROV 48 - politik
BP Liveblog ROV 47 -Lusty
BP Liveblog ROV 46 -Pam LaPier
BP Liveblog ROV 45 - khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 44 -Pakalolo
BP Liveblog ROV 43 -Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 42 -Garrett
BP Liveblog ROV 41 -Yasuragi
BP Liveblog ROV 40 -hester
BP Liveblog ROV 39 -OpMama
BP Liveblog ROV 38 -Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 37 -khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 36 -splashy
BP Liveblog ROV 35 -conchita
BP Liveblog ROV 34- OpMama
BP Liveblog ROV 33 -yawnimawke
BP Liveblog ROV 32 -Pam LaPier
BP Liveblog ROV 31 -splashy
BP Liveblog ROV 30 -nika7k
BP Liveblog ROV 29 -khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 28 - tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV - Diary 27 - Yasuragi
BP Liveblog ROV - Diary 26 - Alkalinesky
BP Liveblog ROV - Diary 25 - Tomtech
Daily Kos POST-Top Kill, Junk Shot, LMRP Diary #24- hester
Daily Kos POST-Top Kill, Junk Shot, LMRP Diary #23- nika7k
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 22- papicek
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 21 - weatherdude
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 20 - joanneleon
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 19 - nika7k
BP TKJSLMRP LiveBlog - Diary 18 - yawnimawke
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 17 - weatherdude
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 16 - politik
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 15 - RhymesWithUrple
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 14 - johnsonwax
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 13 - Middleagedhousewife
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 12 - nika7k
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 11 - Overseas
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 10 - conchita
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 9 - khowell
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 8 - Garrett
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 7 - miep
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 6 - Alkalinesky
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 5 - Liveblog
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 4 - Garrett
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 3 - sc kitty
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 2 - conchita
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 1 - khowell
Top Kill has begun! - Tomtech