This is no longer the current liveblog diary. The next in the series is BP Oilpocalypse ROV Diary #63
You are in the BP disaster ROV, number 62. Number 61 is here.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, rather REC THE MOTHERSHIP instead. She needs your love to stay afloat.
BP put up a video explaining the LMRP procedure and the future plans.
- BP scolded for painting 'rosy picture'
- NOAA Opens 16,000 Square Miles of Fishing Closed Area in Gulf of Mexico (and closes 2,200 square miles)
- Watch it live: Government oil spill tracking site launches soon
- Worker on rig saw it coming
- BP Plans $10 Billion Dividend Payout
- BP doesn't want photos of dead animals
- BP hives off 'toxic' Gulf spill operation
- Lab tests confirm underwater layers of oil
- Wednesday night saw an explosion of live feed video links and multi-view pages. Check the video links list for the latest.
This is what BP DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE. The following images are guaranteed to make you .
These images are not for the faint of heart - DO NOT VIEW THEM LIGHTLY.
Really, I mean it. Hold somebody's hand. Grab a tissue.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, Rec the Mothership here.
cosmic debris put together a comprehensive list of links on oil health and safety info:
- 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Crisis WIki
- NIH National Library of Medicine Crude oil spills and Health
- ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry) Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPH): ToxFAQs™
- CDC Emergency Preparedness and Response: 2010 Gulf of Mexico
Includes fact sheets and health and safety information for Gulf Coast Residents, Response Workers, and Health Professionals
- Reducing Occupational Exposures while Working with Dispersants During the Gulf Oil Spill Response
- EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico
Includes Air Monitoring Data Reports, Daily Average Particulate Matter, Air Sampling Data Files, Real-time Air Monitoring (including TAGA data), and Downloadable data set of hourly air monitoring
Here is a tutorial on the sources of pressure on the well
Thanks to Tomtech for attributing and h/t to Pluto for finding this: Here is an excellent image of what is supposed to exist under the wellhead. Take the comments from Halliburton with a grain of salt since this is part of their "blame those two" PR campaign.
Images giving a rough idea of what's in place now and status of the kill wells
The video feeds we are watching:
==== ROV Feeds =====
44287/44668 - OceanInterventionROV1
44838/45135 - OceanInterventionROV2
46566/54013 - Viking_Poseidon_ROV1
55030/56646 - Viking_Poseidon_ROV2
31499/31500 - Boa_Deep_C_ROV_1
22458/23729 - Boa_Deep_C_ROV_2
45685/49182 - Skandi_ROV1 (BP player shows wrong feed)
45683/45684 - Skandi_ROV2
47175/21144 - Enterprise_ROV_1
21145/21327 - Enterprise_ROV_2
37235/37270 - Q4000_ROV1
35523/35624 - Q4000_ROV2
Restricted to web browser based viewing:
CNN Video Streams Note: multi-view is sometimes unavailable.
PBS (fewer security issues than some others)
BP videos Links to all available live feeds from BP.
WKRG - Mobile/Pensacola (Contains link for an iPhone app at the bottom.)
ABC 7 Chicago Live Video Multiple ROV Camera Views (h/t to temptxan for the great find).
Multiple stream feeds (hard on browser/bandwidth):
The best multi-view feed Be patient as load time may take a bit.
Markey's multi-view page
Vote For America's awesome clickable multi-view Courtesy of one of our very own Kossacks.
A multi-view Contains feeds from BP, C-SPAN-2, WKRG, and PBS
See this thread for more info on using video feeds and on linking to video feeds.
Again, to keep bandwidth down please do not post images or videos.
Links, courtesy of several Kossacks
- Visualize the spill
- dov12348's Ocean currents, wind currents, and hurricane links
- World newspapers oil section
- The Oil Drum
- Oil & Gas Journal
- Offshore Magazine
- Petroleum News
- Your Oil and Gas News
- World Oil
- Administration response to spill.
- Donate to SkyTruth here. SkyTruth helps environmental NGOs use remote sensing (pictures taken from space) and digital mapping to improve their scientific credibility, conservation decisionmaking, communications and public outreach.
- Images of the Oilpacalypse, from Tomtech.
- Visit the Oil Spill Crisis Map to see where oil, mousse, tar balls, and eau de crude have been reported on the Gulf coast.
- The BP Deepwater Horizon Unified Command official website. Wherein you can read latest post warning of employment scams associated with the event and much more from the folks handling this.
- Timeline of response here.
- Timeline of the Event from April 20th being maintained by blogroots.
- Department of Energy BP Deepwater Horizon Spill site updates.
- Bit Tooth Energy blog (technical discussions) by the famed Heading Out, well known key poster on The Oil Drum blog site.
- Department of Interior BP Deepwater Horizon Response site provides updates, reports, data, links to pictures, etc.
- Rigzone for specific disaster news and news about the offshore industry, in general.
- BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Quantitative Data - from whitis
- Courtesy of profgoose here is a list of links from The Oil Drum links on newer developments, etc
- Maritime ship tracking -- courtesy of johnsonwax
- U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spil
- NOAA Spill tracking site
- ERMA: Environmental Response Management Application
- BP has a good diagram of the cutting process that partially succeeded
- Documents show BP chose a less-expensive, less-reliable method for completing well in Gulf oil spill
Previous liveblog ROV diaries:
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 61 - Lusty
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 60 - Tomtech
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 59 - Pam LaPier
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 58 - RhymesWithUrple
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 57 - Detroit Mark
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 56 - Yasuragi
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 55 - Groucho Marxist
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 54 - khowell
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 53 - Yasuragi
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 52 - hester
BP Oilpocalypse Liveblog ROV 51 - Tomtech
For a more complete list of Liveblog diaries, see the current mothership.