- Joe Scarborough really is a wanker.
- KY-Sen: Run for your lives! Rand Paul says Hitler is coming to America because of Obama and the Democrats!
Remember when it was beyond the pale to compare the political opposition to Hitler? But that rule only applies to Democrats. Conservatives can do it with impunity.
- And while we're visiting with Kentucky blogger Barefoot and Progressive, he got video of Rand Paul's former campaign manager, and asked him why he didn't pull the plug on the Rachel Maddow interview which got his general election campaign off to such a horrid start.
The answer? Because Rand Paul was looking really good and making a lot of sense. So much so, in fact, that they had to stick him in Cheney's underground undisclosed bunker for weeks as they waited for the storm to pass.
- July marks a distressing record.
With the deaths of three more American troops on Friday, July became the deadliest month for U.S. forces in the nine-year Afghan war.
The killings came in a manner and location that has typified the recent increase in violence in Afghanistan. NATO officials said two of the American service members died in a roadside bombing while another was killed by a separate insurgent attack, all of them in southern Afghanistan, where the Taliban insurgency is strongest. The rudimentary bombs often made from fertilizer are a favored weapon of the Taliban and the predominant killer of U.S. troops in Afghanistan.
The latest killings, a total of six over two days, pushed the death toll to 66 Americans, surpassing June, when 60 Americans were killed. The overall toll for NATO forces in July is still below the record reached in June, when 103 NATO troops were killed.
What a fucking mess. Bring our troops home.
- I want to see Hailey Barbour, Rush Limbaugh, and Bobby Jindal eat Gulf Coast seafood.
Scientists have found signs of an oil-and-dispersant mix under the shells of tiny blue crab larvae in the Gulf of Mexico, the first clear indication that the unprecedented use of dispersants in the BP oil spill has broken up the oil into toxic droplets so tiny that they can easily enter the foodchain.
- Mosque madness.
And here we actually get to the nub of the problem. Joking about the exact scope of the proposed mosque exclusion zone the issue here is whether or not we should be defining Islam, as such, as an “ideolog[y] opposed to America” comparable to the ideology that powered the Soviet Union. I say “no,” Team Newt says yes. That’s both repugnant and strategically disastrous.
If We Cared About The Women And Children Of The World
It would be far better to spend $100 billion per year granting them political asylum and paying for their transport and relocation to the US than invading their countries and caressing them with our freedom bombs.
- Rolling my eyes at the latest Fred Barnes idiocy.
- Scientists now believe that there was no such animal as triceratops. Rather, the beloved and well-known dinosaur was the juvenile form of Torosaurus. Here's a diagram of how the triceratops/torosaur skull might've morphed over time. Note, this isn't established fact, just the latest theory from two paleontologists.
Luckily, triceratops was named first. So if this is confirmed by peer review, and consensus builds that they're the same animal, then "torosaur" will get the axe. That'll avoid the mess we got when Brontosaur was axed because 1) it was the same animal as Apatosaurus, and 2) Apatosaurus came first.
- Who knew Manta Rays could leap nine feet out of the water? So incredibly cool.
- A two-fer: 1) more evidence of Republicans who lie with abandon, and don't give a shit about the fact that they're lying, and 2) more evidence that filibuster reform is long overdue.