copyright © 2010 Betsy L. Angert. BeThink.org
There is so much flak for what seems would be a fine Presidential appointment. The nation’s Chief Executive, Barack Obama, is often characterized as Spock, a Vulcan who is almost virtually void of emotion. It is said that our current President is practical. He acts on logic. Yet, this supposed intellectual individual has, at times, seemed ready to do other than what most think reasonable. Mister Obama has not appointed the truly best Sheriff for towns throughout the country, Elizabeth Warren..
Rather than rapidly select Harvard Professor Elizabeth Warren as the first-ever director of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection, a new agency born out of her years-long efforts to secure a Consumer Rights Department within the Federal Government, many speculated Barack Obama might nominate Secretary Tim Geithner disciple Michael Barr.
Since White House Advisor Larry Summers, an advocate for never-too-big banks did not favor Elizabeth Warren, there is even more reason for worry, or so the populace believes. Americans have seen, heard, and read some backtracks. Yet, the post remains unfilled. Granted, there are other candidates, any of which would avoid conflicts in the Executive Branch, but back on the boulevards . . .
The American people know what they want. Fearful that Mister Obama will choose a financial insider or friend to one, have penned their names on numerous petitions. The public took their preference to the streets. Protests were held. Rallies, rants, and campaigns organized to raise dollars have worked to deliver the people’s message. “We want Elizabeth Warren” to protect those of us who reside on Main Street. Still, The Commander-In-Chief appears to be poised, or possibly persuaded by his pals on Wall Street and friends in the White House, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Larry Summers. Thus, Today, the people again express concern, this time in the form of a short film. Elizabeth Warren Rap Video- Got A New Sheriff
Until the day when the decision is formally delivered, people will proclaim, Mister President, “We want Elizabeth Warren to serve as our Sheriff.” Should Mister Obama do other than the public craves, we can only imagine how consumers will feel about out present Administration and their authentic commitment to change a seriously corrupt system.
References for Consumer Rights Reform and Realities . . .
- Elizabeth Warren.. Harvard University Faculty.
- Unsafe At Any Rate, By Elizabeth Warren. Democracy; A Journal of Ideas. Summer 2007
- Elizabeth Warren likely to head new consumer agency provokes strong feelings. By Brady Dennis. Washington Post. August 13, 2010
- Wall Street Meets Rap: The Amazing Elizabeth Warren Rhyme. By Kayla Webley. Time. August 18, 2010
- “Who Can Obama Nominate To Head Up the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau?” By Masaccio. FireDogLake. July 16, 2010
- Why Is Larry Summers Afraid of Having Many Small Banks? By Scarecrow. FireDogLake. April 23, 2010
- Geiithner praises Elizabeth Warren for consumer agency, By Susan Page. USA Today. July 22, 2010