Let me start by admitting some things. As a kid, growing up on a farm, I had a gun. It was a Winchester .218 Bee and to this day I regret the marmot and rabbit lives I took for sport with it( but I'll take an ethical rebate on those my mother actually served for supper). I’ve been shot at but not shot. I’m no expert on the technical minutiae of firearms mechanisms or the arcane terminology used to describe the many classifications of their ammunition. I’m not a constitutional scholar either, but I understand enough about English grammar to know the meaning of a comma. That said, I would like to propose some gun control legislation that I feel a professed liberal gun owner could support. So here goes-
- Start with taxing guns and ammo. To help compensate the victims of gun violence.
- Reinstate the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. These are weapons of war, not sport
- Ban high capacity magazines like the ones used in Tucson. You need 33 bullets to hit something, then this hobby might not be for you.
- Increase penalties for failing to secure access to firearms by children. Mandate trigger locks in households with kids (like the DC law the NRA lobbied out of existence).
- Eliminate straw purchases where guns are legally bought by someone without a criminal record on behalf of someone prohibited from owning a gun.
- Prosecute rogue gun stores that routinely sell weapons that end up being used in the commission of crimes.
- Close the "gun show loophole" that permits private gun sales without a federal criminal background check.
I’m sure the last point may come as a surprise to those uninitiated into the world of American firearms dealing. Here's an explanation via video posted by the Wisconsin Anti-Violence Education Fund.
In closing, I’d like to submit this timely analysis by Bill Maher on Jay Leno the other night. I know he’s a comedian, but I think he often gets to the heart of matters with some well-pointed snark.
My apologies to any members of the RKBA community if any of this offends. I appreciate the gracious and civil tone that you all have used in your diaries and comments regarding this emotional and contentious issue.