I just published a new liveblog because this one never made it to the group page, the new liveblog can be found here
Do not recommend this diary. If continued discussion of the situation is important to you, please recommend the Mothership instead so that it will stay in the Recommended list.
This "ROV" (a Remote Operating Vehicle is a 'child diary' or liveblog coverage of major breaking news stories. The term was borrowed from the Gulf Watchers coverage of the Deep Water Horizon crisis)
This is another clearinghouse diary for discussion and commentary about the ongoing nuclear disaster(s) in Japan. Previous diaries are saved in the group page.
- Updated by Drewid on 3/29/11 @ 1:35 est.
From the LA Times:
They sleep with just one blanket apiece anywhere there's space — in a conference room, in the hallway, near the bathroom. Because deliveries of supplies are limited, they get by on very little food: Breakfast is packages of high-calorie emergency crackers and a small carton of vegetable juice; dinner consists of a small bag of "magic rice" (just add bottled water) and a can of chicken, mackerel or curry. There is no lunch — handing out a noontime meal would be too complicated in the crowded two-story building
- Updated by Drewid on 3/28/11 @ 7:00pm est.
From The Japan Times
Reactor turbine basements flooded with highly radioactive materials kept a desperate effort to stabilize the Fukushima No. 1 power plant at bay Monday, as fresh data showed that nearby seawater was being contaminated further by the leaking facility. Efforts by Tokyo Electric Power Co. to restore the cooling systems for reactors No. 1 through 4, as well as their spent-fuel storage pools, continue to be halted by the highly radioactive water, which is now at lethal levels.
- Updated by rja at Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 04:42 AM CDT
From Kyodo News: URGENT: High-level radiation detected in trench outside Fukushima reactor building
High levels of radiation exceeding 1,000 millisieverts per hour were found in water in a trench outside the No. 2 reactor's turbine building at the troubled nuclear power plant in Fukushima on Sunday afternoon, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Monday.
Similarly high levels of radioactivity have been found in a pool of water in the basement of the turbine building at the Fukushima Daiichi complex, raising concerns that radioactive substances may have seeped into the environment, including the sea nearby.
- h/t BlueSue Delay feared in restoring cooling systems - NHK WORLD English
In order to resolve the problem of the contaminated water, the utility says it is trying to accelerate work at the Number-one reactor to pump the water from the basement into the turbine condenser for storage by increasing the number of pumps from one to 3.
The company says although it had planned to take similar steps to remove the water from the Number-2 and -3 reactors, their turbine condensers were found to have been almost full and unable to contain any more water.
The company says it is considering pumping that water from the condensers into adjacent pools and then filling them with the contaminated water.
Recent Dailykos Diaries
- Radiated-food-contamination-spreads-in-Japan-according-to-IAEA by akmk on 3/28/11
- Physicist:Nuclear-crisis-may-be-close-to-point-of-no-return by Pluto on 3/28/11
- Radiation-Risk-Model-Shows-120,000-Cases-of-Cancer-in-Tokyo by Stuart H Smith on 3/28/11
- BREAKING-TEPCO-Says-Plutonium-Found-On-Ground-near-Fukushima by deepsouthdoug on 3/28/11
- Fukushima-Status-Update-3-27 by kbman on 3/27/11
Regularly Updated Data Sources
• Japanese Atomic Industrial Forum (JAIF) reports, which record such key factors as conditions of core and fuel integrity, water level and containment.
• RSOS Emergency & Disaster information Services - Japan
• Daily Telephone Media Briefings from Union of Concerned Scientists
• Energy.gov: The Situation in Japan (Updated 03/22/11)
• EPA RadNet Map View & EPA's Radiation Air Monitoring
NEW: Scribble Live part of the Fukishima wikispaces link above
Kyodo Nuclear News Feed
NHK Japan Live:NHK Japan Live
Asahi on Facebook
Google Earth Engine (download required): Radiation Over Japan. Visit Pachube for mapping
Due to extensive coverage, the Japan Nuclear Incident Liveblogs team is now saving ALL Coverage @ KOS to the group page. Please visit the group for previous ROVs, MotherShips and other diaries. Please note below if diaries are being reposted to other groups so we can direct readers there as well.
Rules of the Road
Please be kind to kossacks with bandwidth issues. Please do not post images or videos. Again, many thanks for this.
Both the Mothership and the ROVs are for reporting and discussing the developing news. Neither space is for opinions or editorializing on the subject of nuclear energy.
Remember when posting to the thread: STICK TO THE FACTS. Source and link all new information. (This includes insuring authenticity of twitter sources.)
CURRENT TIME IN JAPAN is just a click away for those who want to time/date stamp entries.
Please post news items to the ROV.
*ROV (Remote Operating Vehicle) is a term coined from the Gulf Watchers ongoing coverage of the Deep Water Horizon crisis in the Gulf of Mexico. It is used in place of the term 'child diary' and refers to a diary(s) running concurrently with the Mothership where ongoing discussion and updates to developing news stories occur.
* Please list any diary from the past two days which is not in above list in comments and we will pick it up for posting.