There is growing dissatisfaction among Moderates, Independents, and Progressives. The statistics show President Obama's unpopular numbers are fast approaching 50%. The Democrat's continued capitulation of their core stances are the cause for an ever increasing enthusiasm gap that manifested itself in 2010 and will continue to grow into potential disaster in 2012, unless serious steps are taken by the Democratic leadership to mend the fences with grass root Democrats, Moderates and Independents.
During the long election season of 2007 and 2008, Candidate Obama spoke with eloquence about representative democracy, a vision for ending the war in both Iraq and Afghanistan, closing Guantanamo Bay, and rebuilding a crumbling infrastructure. Coupled with a fairly incompetent ran campaign by Hillary Clinton's staff, and a near-collapse of our economy, the cards were laid out for a strong victory for the Democrats in 2008, and the people delivered. The Progressive base busted its hump for Democrats in 2008 to get out the vote and sway the election in what could have been an otherwise potential anemic voter turn out. The result was control of both Houses of Congress and the Presidency.
Fast forward through 2009 and 2010, Selective representation and return to "quid pro qou" politics cost the Democratic Party its majority in the House, and closed the gap in the Senate. Republicans, went back to their base in 2010 and showed they were paying attention to the approximate 30% who show up every election cycle. They spoke of tax cuts and austerity measures, and their base showed up to vote in 2010.
The Democratic leadership and President Obama can close this gap and regain the momentum needed to defeat any generic Republican candidate by:
1. Letting the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest (those making over $500,000 / year) expire in 2012.
2. Closing tax loop - holes and ending subsidies for Corporations who refuse to manufacture a majority of their product in the USA.
3. End subsidies for Oil Companies, the exception would be for R&D for "Clean Energy".
4. Re-instate Glass-Steagall in its entirety as codified before 1997.
5. Work toward comprehensive Campaign Finance Reform and stop Corporate sponsorships of campaigns.
6. Investigate and Prosecute the criminals responsible for the near collapse of our economy in 2008.
7.End the "Washington entitlement" attitude.
8. Focus on paying off our debt to China, and India.
This election is winnable. Hell, its the Democrats to lose.