Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd and most informative commentary. We depend on your help with talent spotting. If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it to topcomments at gmail by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
I suppose that to follow pattern, I should have a witty teaser here about a Columbus Day topic, and then invite you to follow me below the
We're friends here, right? I mean, we think about each other whenever we see a special comment and send it to the gmail, then meet every night at 10pm Eastern and, over the course of a couple of hours, chatter about our day, look at pretty patterns, usually get a dose of music, ruminate on matters and comments large and small, then drift off for the evening.
So because we're such friends, I can confide that I had absolutely nothing strike me as a topic I wanted to diary tonite. Capital-N nuthin. I spent the day trying to tame Casa Brillig's Laundry Monster, whose basket-shaped form clearly reproduces by parthenogenesis, leading to a herd gathered 'round the washer. The tamer flock of Clean Laundry has been separated to its individual pens, although a school of unsorted socks was sighted in the master bedroom.
It's been a day keeping my eye on those beasties, who seem to have enlisted K1 and K2 as allies, using carefully timed bickering to disrupt my attempts to bring order to the Casa. Only a strategic deployment of Taco & Burrito Night calmed matters.
What monsters lurked within your day? :-)
= = = = =
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
In my diary reposting Winter Rabbit's diary from last year about Christopher Columbus & His Crimes Against Humanity, Aji makes a great comment about the ultimate Irony Sweepstakes Award going to the Indian Health Service for being closed on Columbus Day when many ndns need critical help.
I liked this comment about "astroturfed Teahadists and Talibangelists" by Jeff Y in Crashing Vor's post Patrick Howley (DC Agent Provocateur) Story Gets Legs Plus: LTEs Work!
In Joan McCarter's front-page story, NYT: GOP 'twisting democracy's machinery to partisan ends', Bindle posts a nice bit of snark, but it's BarackStarObama's comment quantifying the issue that truly hits home.
kovie looks at the current protests as both a native New Yorker who had his first college interview in a building across from Zuccotti park, and as someone who sees parallels between today's protests and two tax rebellions in the postwar 1780s and 1790s.
In Tom Tomorrow's What Do They Want, brooklynbadboy simplifies the difference between OWS and Tea Party.
note: thanks to that loooooovely BSOFD that graced my laptop a half hour before publishing, my comment mining time disappeared into the void. sigh.
= = = = =
Top Mojo for yesterday, 10/9/2011, with first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo wizardry!
1) You did us proud by Dallasdoc — 212
2) That panel was so out of touch by Dallasdoc — 145
3) Thank you! by xylonjay — 136
4) Well Done Jesse by superscalar — 136
5) Cool. Look what happened when I searched. by Eileen B — 124
6) And George Will is a doddering old fool by glitterscale — 96
7) The Democratic Party Has Left th 99% With At Least by Gooserock — 95
8) Wow. The calm response, refuting George Will's by Chi — 92
9) Obama Not Interested in the Occupy Movement by bink — 88
10) Thank you, again, Sarge by DaNang65 — 85
11) Thought he did a nice job of shutting down by Phoebe Loosinhouse — 85
12) Did you hear the reaction? by xaxnar — 84
13) LOVED the part about "the only working class by sherlyle — 84
14) She is so condescending by badscience — 82
15) I loved the part about by zenbassoon — 81
16) They think it's like the tea party by mmacdDE — 79
17) glorious debut by LaughingPlanet — 75
18) I have asked you before to provide by Clarknt67 — 75
19) I keep meaning to Tweet this to you by Keori — 75
20) Brilliantly done. by RickMassimo — 74
21) Together, sekritarmy can accomplish better... by kerflooey — 71
22) Thank you guys, I love you by MinistryOfTruth — 70
23) Jesse Was Spectacular! by Empower Ink — 68
24) You're doing a heckuva job Jesse. by One Pissed Off Liberal — 68
25) Anyone who'd refer to David Dayen's writing... by bobswern — 67
26) I like it. Alot. Well made. Accurate. by mumtaznepal — 67
27) trying to embed by AnnetteK — 67
28) WTG Jesse! by jamess — 63
29) Someone needs to set up a by rk2 — 62
30) Wish I knew the answer by marykk — 61
31) Labor law reform died on Carter's watch in 1978 by RFK Lives — 61