A private picnic was raided. Veggies grown on an organic farm and organic meat certified in Utah, had to be thrown away and covered with bleach to prevent it from being fed to pigs.
The Southern Nevada Health District has raided an organic farm picnic destroying the organic produce, which was classified by them as bio-hazard material.
The raid at the highly regarded and reputable Quail Hollow Farm, which sits in the picturesque Moapa Valley of Southern Nevada took place place after a tip off of the event because some of the food was not ‘certified’ in the correct state.
Apparently all the natural food served from farm must be certified by the United States Department of Agriculture so the owners had to dispose of all food including vegetables because of their ‘bio-hazard potential‘.
This meant the owners of the farm had to pour bleach on the produce in order to safely render the dangerous organic healthy potatoes safe and prevent them from being eaten by the farm owners as private citizens or by livestock such as the pigs on the farm.
This is just so head spinning it's difficult to respond, so I will quote one of the picnic guests:
One individual who attended the picnic who is identified on the video below said “It’s despicable with the feast that was prepared to have the order [from the Southern Nevada Health District] for not a valid reason for a certified chef to destroy all this food, it’s just an absolute shame not because we are here but because its good quality food that has no reason to be destroyed.”
Here's a video of the event:
UPDATE: Here's the whole story.
1. Quail Hollow Farm complied and applied for a "special use permit". The guests did pay a fee for the event that included live music and a well-known chef.
2. State official had NO warrants, and was asked to leave after a call to the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund to find out their rights, but after the prepared food was destroyed.
3. The picnic crowd rallied after the State official left, and prepared a new meal with all the fresh veggies that were in the cooler, ready for the next days farmers market. They proceeded to enjoy the evening.
You must remember that we live in a small town. We know these officers. They responded to the call dutifully but were desperately trying to figure out why they had been called. Never in all of their experience had they ever received a call like this.
Mary, the inspector, demanded that they give us a citation. The officer in charge said that she was to give us the citation, she responded that no, they were to give us the citation, which they then asked her for what violation. Even with the help of her superior on the phone she could not give them a reason. They asked her to leave which she did. The police were very kind and apologetic for the intrusion. All of this was done without fanfare and out of sight of our guests. The police officers are commended for their professionalism!
Now that we have come to the last chapter of our novel, I realize that it ends with a cliff-hanger. As happy as the ending was, it isn’t “happily ever after” yet. This will remain to be seen in the ensuing days, weeks and even years ahead.
Tom Collins, our County Commissioner, furious by the events that took place, having formerly been a board member for the Southern Nevada Health District is putting together a meeting with himself, the current board members and ourselves to make sense of all this mess.
So the police apologized and left.
As an aside, possibly bringing this story to the list of Ten Most Ironic Stories of the Year,
So, I did a search for the Southern Nevada Health Department and found this.
A lawsuit has been filed against the Southern Nevada Health Department, formally Clark County Health District.
The suit accuses the department of negligence, conspiracy, malicious conduct and intentional acts resulting in mold poisoning from the health district building on Shadow Lane in Las Vegas.
The suit claims a husband of one of the plaintiffs was poisoned by mold in 2007 and died of his injuries while working at the health district. His widow and other plaintiffs claim to be the victims of cross-contamination.
The Southern Nevada Health Department deems organic veggies are a biohazard, but toxic mold IN their offices not so much? Really? Just when you think you've heard it all.
I'm sorry, but I can't see how people gathering for a private picnic consisting of locally grown, organic vegetables and organic meat certified by the State of Utah is deemed a biohazard threat by the Southern Nevada Health Department.