The Health and Human Services Department will "let Texas know that that waiver will not be extended," HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Friday, according to The Associated Press.Ninety percent of the program's fund is Medicaid funding from the federal government. The program provides everything from cancer screenings to reproductive health services. Gov. Rick Perry has pledged to find money to offset that loss. Given the state's economic problems, and Perry's own disdain for the population this program serves, that's likely to prove an empty promise.
Sebelius said the money will be phased out between May and September, the AP reports, to give the women enrolled in the Women's Health Program a chance to find alternative care.
Rick Perry's prayers won't help fund health care for low-income women. (Jonathan Ernst/Reuters)
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
NCJim, moiv, splashy, kdrivel, daddybunny, irishwitch, OHdog, Its any one guess, jacey, Mr Robert, Portlaw, nomandates
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- The media are more interested in ...278 comments 291 Recs
- You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...223 comments 230 Recs
- Last week, I noted that the number of ACA exchange-based QHP selections has officially passed the 12 million mark nationally. I also mentioned that: Of course, when you throw in the missing tax ...9 comments 20 Recs
- Early results in the marriage equality referendum indicate a very strong showing for the yes vote. It's looking like a celebratory mood is emerging already within the Irish gay community, although ...187 comments 179 Recs
- Let’s say that you are a bit older, overweight, out of shape, and making your only visit to Glacier National Park. Now this is a National Park filled with hiking trails and lots of young, ...15 comments 38 Recs
- Need a bit of inspiration this morning? I've got just the story for you. On Tuesday, two men showed up on a street corner in Tillamook, Oregon, with signs reading "Homo sex is sin" and "Jesus said ...121 comments 425 Recs
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 290 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...93 comments 265 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...107 comments 47 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.