- Research In Motion experienced more turmoil last week as the BlackBerry franchise continued its descent. The company's new CEO appears to be waving the white flag and looking for a triage sale. Part of CEO Thorsten Heins plan involves full-on retreat from the consumer market and focusing on corporate, government, and developing nations. One RIM insider suggests moving towards Microsoft by adopting the Windows Phone platform. I think that's about right. Only an alignment with Microsoft can save the BlackBerry brand. Heins' strategy is no more than a deathwatch.
- Nokia has adopted this Windows Phone-centered strategy. AT&T is planning a major rollout of Nokia's Lumia 900 this week. Anecdotal, of course, by my oldest teenage daughter is a huge fan of HTC's Windows Phone and she's no slouch when it comes to these things.
- So we all know President Obama famously carries a presidential BlackBerry. With RIM's troubles, will he stick with it?
A recent survey indicated that the BlackBerry is still the favorite smartphone on Capitol Hill, but the Globe and Mail warns that change is in the air.I've been a BlackBerry user for ten years now. I'm looking at Android and Windows if RIM doesn't get it together, and I mean quick. Perhaps the President is considering the same thing. Politically, the narrative of moving on to new and better things could have some currency.
"In Washington’s watering holes and at expensive restaurants where lobbyists power-lunch," writes Koring, "Droids and iPhones are obviously making inroads."
- Foxconn, the Chinese company that manufactures for Apple, has promised to implement the recommendations of a Fair Labor Association audit:
"Foxconn has participated fully and openly in this review of Apple-focused business groups at our Longhua and Guanlan campuses in Shenzhen and our campus in Chengdu and this process is part of our long-standing commitment to working together with our customers to ensure that our employees are treated fairly and their rights are fully protected," Foxconn said in a statement.The review was commissioned by Apple.
- Speaking of Apple, the next iPhone (possibly this Fall) is likely to have 4G LTE and possibly an even better camera than the 4s. The question is what will they call it?
- Google's Linux-based Android platform continues to lead the market share battle:
Nielsen revealed that the majority of U.S. smartphone subscribers (about 48 percent) are using Google's Android devices, while 32.1 percent are using Apple's iPhone. The rest of the market is made up of BlackBerry owners (11.6 percent) and users of "other" smartphones.
Nielsen's numbers align closely with similar research conducted by comScore and released on March 6.
- A telling statistic:
The era of smartphones has officially arrived. More were shipped globally last year than client PCs for the first time ever, according to Canalys.
President Barack Obama reacts to a BlackBerry message in the Treaty Room office in the private residence of the White House, March 21, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, aitchdee, lyvwyr101, PSzymeczek, Russgirl, fayea, Bule Betawi, annieli, zenox, foucaultspendulum
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by brooklynbadboy
- I haven't been blogging for a bit. I've been busy reading and researching. But given the discussions of late, I thought I would share a bit of truth about ourselves that needs to be exposed and ...316 comments 434 Recs
- I don't know about you, but I am tired of these videos popping up with actual, factual brutality and sometimes DEATH of the alledged suspect at the hands of the police. This video below, will just ...147 comments 285 Recs
- Today, Senator Elizabeth Warren and Mayor Bill DeBlasio jointy wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post that is worth reading. Some excerpts: In this land of big dreams, there was never a dream ...69 comments 59 Recs
- Hillary Clinton at Rancho ...208 comments 163 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 447 Recs
- Former Baltimore Mayor and Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has been getting slammed in the media and by some here for what happened to Freddie Gray and for the Baltimore riots. His critics say ...130 comments 129 Recs
- Damnation to those who think otherwise: " It is necessary to control women's sexual urges ," says Hakim, a stern, bespectacled man in a fez. " They must be chaste to preserve their beauty ." I had ...69 comments 75 Recs
- ...and it's terrific. Or as the Daily Beast describes it: "Meet the new Barack Obama: Her name is Hillary Clinton." I thought Hillary's speeches in the last few months of her last campaign ...111 comments 38 Recs
- Had he lived in our times, he (we'll call him Bill) could have been a prominent blogger on Daily Kos. In fact, given his way with words and unique ability to coin new phrases, I'm sure he'd have ...131 comments 240 Recs
- So I’ve always been impressed with the men in my life who proudly declare that they’re feminists. Hard to believe it, but even now in the 21st Century, it takes a pretty self-confident guy to ...361 comments 43 Recs
- No current results.