I haven't been getting quite enough sleep lately.
I'm not quite sure why: my body just decides to wake up earlier than usual, and I can't get back to sleep. Five or six hours seems to be it, and it's not quite enough.
It shows up in little ways. A sentence doesn't present itself with the usual alacrity, or has to be dumped and redone. I'll remember something I meant to do a little too late for it to get done. I'll put off drafting something because the structure just won't come clear.
This is not to say I can't deal with complexity: I finally found the missing six bucks in my checkbook today. (Two things: a miswritten check amount in my register accounted for five, and a simple arithmetic error explained the sixth dollar. It's been a minor annoyance, and now it's gone.)
And speaking of complexity (or a lack thereof), it's time for A Word From Our Sponsor:
|Top Comments strives to promote each day's outstanding comments through nominations made by Kossacks like you. Please send comments (before 9:30pm ET) by email to email@example.com or via the Top Comments KosMail message board. Just click on the Spinning Top™ to make a submission. Look for the Spinning Top™ to pop up in
Make sure that your submission includes the direct link to the comment—the URL—which is available by clicking on that comment's date/time. Please let us know your Daily Kos user name if you use email so we can credit you properly. If you send a writeup with the link, we can include that as well. Each evening's diarist reserves the right to edit all content.
Please come in. We invite you to make yourself at home. Join us beneath the curlicue that heralds the traditional jump…
So what do you write after admitting that you're not firing on all cylinders at the moment? Plainly, I'm unlikely to come up with anything particularly clever, unless my subconscious slips something outrageous through my weakened critical function, or I luck out somehow.
I did think about trying to nap today, but I've never been much of a napper. I tried for extra sleep this morning after an early awakening, and also yesterday afternoon before leaving to drive to rehearsal for that matter, and nada. In a way, I'm not surprised the attempted afternoon nap didn't work: when I'm going to be singing soon afterward, I usually make it a point not to nap, since my voice resets and loses its upper register, and needs to warm up all over again—don't ask me to sing first thing in the morning—and this fact might have been in the back of my mind. I'm beginning to wonder if my brain has decided this means that all naps are evil, with unfortunate results. If so, I think my brain needs a talking to. Like right now… or at least as soon as I get this diary safely posted. Come to think of it, napping sooner than that would be highly counterproductive. ;-)
There was a pair of comment nominations tonight, which was twice what arrived for my previous diary, and both met our daily deadline of 9:30pm eastern. Still, more would have been nice: as that top mojo entry tonight puts it, "Oh NOM, NOM, NOM"! Any Kossack can nominate great comments by submitting them to us. Really. As noted above, when you send a writeup with the link, we are able to include it, though we reserve the right to edit, and if you don't include a writeup (or even not much of one), you will likely have some words added by the diarist of the night, which tonight would have meant me. Tonight's submission count is gmail, 1; DKos, 1. Both methods were equally effective, I guess.
In the whole brouhaha over theists vs atheists and whether they should respect each other, this comment by bkamr that should really be a diary stood out.From Ginny in CO:
In maf1029's excellent contribution to the atheists/theists debate I will NOT respect your beliefs…., Dallasdoc's last paragraph is cited by several follow-up comments. I agree and also think the first is critical to understanding how and why people have come to strong opinions.From sardonyx (your
Also in maf1029's diary I will NOT respect your beliefs…., downthread from the excellent Dallasdoc comment Ginny in CO nominated above, KathleenM1 bids us notice the terms being used to describe minorities when they demand their rights.Please add your own comment finds below!
Responding to Christian Dem in NC's diary announcing that Feds break off talks with Sheriff Joe, artmartin reminds us how Arpaio has been getting elected in Maricopa County in the first place, and blue aardvark poses a comprehensive question.
Top mojo is from comments made all day on Tuesday, April 4, 2012. The listing is courtesy of the wonderful mojo generator created by mik, and only excludes tip jars and other first diary comments.
1) You are not the only one by Olympia — 186~~~~~
2) Mets, as you know, I am most by Its the Supreme Court Stupid — 169
3) I was tempted to HR it by matching mole — 152
4) Nice rant. by yojimbo — 106
5) Will Their Behavior Change? Unlikely by JekyllnHyde — 98
6) They're now the Pink Slime! n/t by Rich in PA — 88
7) Thank you for saying that! by JaneEyrez — 84
8) AMEN. The anti-gay rhetoric has done the same by commonmass — 83
9) Thanks, ITSCS... by Mets102 — 77
10) And Republicans keep moving further right... by Jacoby Jonze — 77
11) I don't respect the beliefs... by probusinessdem — 72
12) If he is charged Federally, that is IF he's by commonmass — 72
13) There is no piece of evidence... by Mets102 — 71
14) being pro-life means you can bomb family planning by happyman — 70
15) Oh NOM, NOM, NOM by KrazyKitten — 67
16) that is false, arrogant, and counterproductive by Lost and Found — 67
17) Great diary, urso! by arizonablue — 65
18) Mets, you know I support you and all religious by rexymeteorite — 65
19) It actually isn't a matter of by gchaucer2 — 64
20) Since Trayvon Martin's murder, anyway, yes, by mskitty — 64
21) Can't wait to see Ryan's face after this. by Calidad — 62
22) When is somebody going to ask Obama about this? by Dallasdoc — 61
23) Republished to Street Prophets. nt by Ojibwa — 61
24) Cat is helping by Ender — 59
25) love the post today ursoklevar... lol lol lol by Statusquomustgo — 59
26) Sorry Paul, Both Conservative Depressions in Our by Gooserock — 58
27) Great Diary, urso! by NormAl1792 — 57
28) hai Tricia... hope all is well with you... by Statusquomustgo — 57
29) I'm reccing this only because it is in my diary, by enhydra lutris — 57
30) I think Jefferson put it best: by Cali Scribe — 57
31) Actually, as near as I can tell, the words by enhydra lutris — 57
Top pictures is from photos and other images posted all day on Tuesday, April 4, 2012. The listing is courtesy of the wonderful picture table generator created by jotter, our preeminent pictorial patron. Click on any picture and it will magically take you to the comment that features that very same image.