(Hat tip to rserven for giving me the idea)
The ultimate guilty pleasure. Whether its Waffles and Berries topped with whipped cream or Salmon Scramble with Fried Potatoes, it's difficult to feel culinary ennui when we decide to turn our tummy's clocks backward and eat "the first meal" at night.
What's For Dinner is a community diary on saturday evenings about 7:30 pm EST where cyber friends get together and discuss food and share recipes. Pull your chair up to the table and leave politics at the door. Pour yourselves a drink and relax
Crustless Mini Quiches
This recipe is great because you can substitute different ingredients. Use your imagination.
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 head of broccoli, stems removed and sperated into florets
6 large eggs
6 large egg yolks
2/3 cup whole milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 Tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1.Preheat oven to 375F lightly spray 24 muffin tin or large 6 muffin tin or use muffin cups
2. Have ready a bowl of ice water. Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to boil over high heat. Add the broccoli and blanch until bright greeen and softened, but still crisp. about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer immediately to ice water to stop cooking. When cook, drain thoroughly and pat dry. Chop coursely and set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together whole eggs, egg yolks, milk, cream, salt & pepper. Transfer to a large glass measuring pitcher.
4. Place prepared muffin tins on rimmed cookie sheets to catch dripage. Place a couple of pieces of broccoli and cheese in each tin or paper cup. Pour egg mixture over each to the rim. Place a piece of broccoli and cheese on top.
5. Bake until the tops are puffed and just beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
6. Transfer the muffin pans to wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes, then turn out quiches onto platter.
This is supposedly Calvin Trillin's favorite meal to eat in Portland, Oregon. It's great because you can make it using food stamps or, if you can afford to, better ingredients such as smoked salmon and truffles.
1 5 oz. can pink salmon
1/2 small yellow onion chopped
4 button mushrooms, chopped
a little tab of butter or margarine.
salt & pepper to taste - tale it easy on the salt, it is pink salmon
sautee onions, shrooms and salmon.
whip eggs and 1 tsp water
when salmon and veggies are cooked, add eggs and scramble while adding salt and pepper to your liking. or whatever seasoning you prefer.
Another version -
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 (7 1/4-oz.) can red salmon, drained, bones and skin removed, flaked
1 oz. (1/4 cup) shredded Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese.
1 Beat eggs in medium bowl. Add milk, dill, pepper and salt; beat well.
2 Melt butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add egg mixture; gently stir in salmon. Cook until eggs are set but still moist, stirring constantly.
3 Sprinkle cheese over eggs. Cover; cook 1 minute or until cheese is melted. .Jarlsberg cheese is a Norwegian specialty. It has large holes and a buttery, mild, slightly sweet flavor that is similar to Swiss cheese. Use it for cooking and snacking.
Substitute 1 cup of flaked, cooked fresh salmon for the canned.
Garnish each serving with sprigs of fresh dill..
Years ago, i happened to find some apple cider syrup at the Salem Farmer's Market, it was amazingly good. I haven't been able to find it since but, i did find a recipe on the net.
Apple Cider Syrup
1 3/4 C. (cup) apple juice or cider
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
2 T. (tablespoon) cornstarch
1/4 t. (teaspoon) ground cinnamon
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
Boil juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Oven Baked Pancakes
2 cups pancakes mix
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup fruit pieces or chocolate chips or bacon or......(optional)
Heat oven to 425F
In medium mixing bowl, stir together pancakes mix, egg, milk, oil and cinnamon. batter will be slightly lumpy
stir in optional ingredients
Pour into greased 15x10 or 8x11 or 12x10 baking pan
Bake 10 minutes or until done.
Well, What's For Dinner at your house?