- Remember that $2 billion JPMorgan lost? Estimates now put eventual losses at $6-$9 billion.
- Surprise! Over the past 18 months, the Kardashians have received 40 times more news coverage than ocean acidification:
Rising carbon dioxide emissions have caused the oceans to become around 30 percent more acidic since the Industrial Revolution, and if we do not lower the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, the ocean surface could be up to 150 percent more acidic by 2100. At that level, the shells of some plankton would dissolve, large parts of the ocean would become inhospitable to coral reef growth, and the rapidity of the change could threaten much of the marine food web. According to the National Research Council, the chemical changes are taking place "at an unprecedented rate and magnitude" and are "practically irreversible on a time scale of centuries."Stories devoted in newspapers and television to ocean acidification? 45. To the Kardashians? 2133.
- Faking it most of the time. According to an analysis by the Annenberg Public Policy Center, spending by leading conservative 501(c)(4) organizations—political action committees—85 percent went to pay for "deceptive" ads 85 percent of the time. These third-party groups do not have to disclose their donors.
- Claims for jobless benefits remain at seven-month highs. For the week ending June 23, the seasonally adjusted claims were 386,000. That's 6,000 lower than last week's revised figure of 392,000. But that figure was originally reported as 387,000, so the drop is not as large as it might at first appear. The four-week running average, preferred by most analysts because it flattens volatility in the weekly figures, was 386,750, a decrease of 750 from the previous week's revised average of 387,500.
- The Congressman from Cognitive Dissonance has a take on the transportation bill:
“I think we need get back to a single-subject [approach],” freshman Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.) said.
Scott bemoaned the absence of the Keystone language.
“I think it’s a loss for America if Keystone is not in the bill.
- Is there anything pot can't treat? Gaede twins Lamb and Lynx have abandoned their tee-shirts with the Hitler smiley faces, given up their "Prussian Blue" band named after a byproduct of the gas used to kill Jews and (mostly) stopped denying the Holocaust after being prescribed marijuana for medical conditions. They still, however, think information about the Nazis got misconstrued. Of the slaughter of Jews, Lamb says: "I just think everyone needs to frickin' get over it. That's what I think." Time to double her dosage.
- The costs of allies who aren't. Vice Admiral Mark Harnitchek, director of the Defense Logistics Agency, says that moving supplies to NATO troops in Afghanistan via Central Asia costs three times as much as routes through Pakistan. It also takes longer. Islamabad shut the Pakistan route seven months ago. Diplomatic relations between the United States and Pakistan have been tense for a long time and heightened by the killing of Osama bin Laden on Pakistani territory nearly 14 months ago. But the catalyst for the blockade of NATO supply convoys came after 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed in a U.S. air strike in November.
- Extraterrestrial invasion? Call Obama!
National Geographic Channel contacted 1,114 adults across the United States last month for its fanciful opinion poll ahead of its new cable television documentary series "Chasing UFOs."
Thirty-six percent of respondents said they were certain that unidentified flying objects exist. Eleven percent were confident they had spotted a UFO, and 20 percent said they knew someone who claimed to have seen one.
With Obama facing re-election in November, 65 percent said Obama would be more adept than Romney to respond to an alien invasion, with women and younger Americans more likely than men and over-65s to agree with that prospect.
- Climate change reducing 44 percent of Canada's bird species.
Here you can hear David Waldman and Armando of Daily Kos Radio analyzing today's Supreme Court ruling on health care coverage and getting it correct from the get-go, unlike CNN. Just listen to caller Monica from Maryland tell how she heard the news:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
stevej, betson08, coolbreeze, RJDixon74135, JVolvo, ER Doc, JeffW, maryabein, LaughingPlanet, laserhaas, ericlewis0
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...68 comments 56 Recs
- Long before the European invasion of North America, five Iroquoian-speaking tribes formed a powerful confederation known as the League of Five Nations. The idea for this confederacy came from the ...2 comments 18 Recs
- Very dangerous woman ...89 comments 41 Recs
- Minnesota State Representative David Bly , D-20B (Northfield), is a longtime champion of sensible agricultural practices that benefit everyone and everything. Chief among them: the preservation of ...4 comments 4 Recs
- 11 comments 24 Recs
- For decades now whenever I see intolerance, bigotry, hypocrisy, homophobia or the like it's almost certainly coming from someone who claims to be a "good, God fearing Christian". From the haters ...99 comments 68 Recs
- The Kansas Democratic Party has completed their search for the next executive director of the party, and the answer came from within. Kerry Gooch, formerly political director for the Kansas ...4 comments 14 Recs
- That is all.36 comments 24 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12320)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24713)
- Community (90388)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55874)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45710)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14755)
- Jobs (12419)
- Labor (28298)
- Libya (4265)