As Linen Attendant I answer phones and make sure supplies get to where they need to go. I am in charge of 15 phone lines and have to answer all the phones before three rings. If a phone rings more than three times I can get in trouble. Many times I do not take a break because there is no one to relieve me and I can’t leave my work station.Addelhakim Ejjair says that as a busser in Indianapolis,
Last year I made less than $20,000. I have two children and I have to work a second full time job in order to support my family. I want to be able to spend more time with my kids but it is impossible with my work schedule. I have to pay more than $120 per month for health insurance just for myself.A fair day's wage
- More about the fight to get New York City workers paid sick leave despite the opposition of Council Speaker Christine Quinn, from Chris Hayes and Sarah Jaffe.
- AT&T and the Communications Workers of America have reached tentative agreements on new contracts for two bargaining units. That was possible because, unlike Verizon and so many other companies these days, AT&T didn't demand huge concessions from workers. Meanwhile, CWA is asking for mediation in the Verizon talks.
- Some recent workplace safety violations: Georgia's Thomson Plastics was hit with 11 safety and health violations and faces more than $160,000 in fines; the company had been cited for some of the same violations in 2010.
Ditchdiggers of Fort Pierce, Florida, was cited for one willful and one serious violation including failing to provide workers with cave-in protection.
Remember Erin Brockovich and hexavalent chromium? Tenneco Automotive Operating Co. has been cited for 14 serious violations including exposing workers to said hexavalent chromium.
The war on education
- Teacherken goes to the AFL-CIO blog to detail how the American Federation of Teachers advocates against a one-size-fits-all approach to education.
- Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. has spun off its education division into a new brand. That should be as good for education as Murdoch's news division has been for news.