Last year I helped organize the Save Our Schools March and National Call to Action in Washington DC. I am no longer involved in the leadership, and have a number of personal conflicts with this year's schedule. I am neverthless urging you to consider attending.
Thus I offer you this:
TEN REASONS TO ATTEND THE AUG. 3 - 5 SAVE OUR SCHOOLS CONVENTION
Marriott Wardman Park hotel, Washington, DC
- Hear author Jonathan Kozol's prescription for saving public schools
- Meet the next generation of student activist leaders
- Learn from Deborah Meier, the first public school teacher to win a MacArthur "genius" award
- Be briefed by civil rights lawyers about the latest initiatives to protect parents and educators
- Talk to school board members spearheading the opposition to failed policies
- Explore with Nancy Carlsson-Page the concerns of early childhood educators
- Find out organizers' plans for expanding the testing opt-out movement
- Examine the assessment reform agenda for replacing "No Child Left Behind"
- Listen to grassroots leaders debate the Peoples Principles platform
- Discover why education activists from across the U.S. support Save Our Schools