London (CNN) -- The number of likely victims of phone hacking by people working for Rupert Murdoch's London media empire has jumped to more than 1,000, the top police officer working on the case said Tuesday.http://www.cnn.com/...
Police have identified another 3,706 potential victims of illegal eavesdropping by journalists in search of stories, Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers told lawmakers.
Authorities had earlier put the number of "likely" victims at around 600, but now say it is 1,069.
And just in from Reuters:
Rupert Murdoch's British newspaper business could face scrutiny for three more years after the officer heading a police inquiry into phone-hacking and illegal payments to public officials said she expected it to last that long.http://www.reuters.com/...
The police investigation into criminal activities at Murdoch's News International unit has already forced him to close the News of the World tabloid and end a deal to acquire the whole of the pay-TV group BSkyB, which would have been the biggest deal in News Corp's history.
Speaking at a parliamentary committee on Tuesday, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers said London's police force had budgeted for three more years of inquiries into the illegal activities of British journalists.
(all bolding by diarist)
Great to see lead investigator Sue Akers kicking ass and taking names! Both these revelations feel like shots across the bow of the S.S. Murdoch.