Skip to main content

Nate Silver has moved Florida from Tossup to Lean Obama, with a 63% chance of winning and a trend in our direction, and North Carolina from Lean Romney to Tossup (60% chance for Romney, also trending our way). North Carolina was previously the only battleground state where Romney was clearly leading in the polls. Our campaign in those states is working. So no handwringing, please. Execute the plan. GOTV.

Obama's chance of winning according to Nate's model is 77.3% as of today, up 10.3% since Aug. 21. Even better than when Nate Silverback appeared on Animal Nuz last week.

Let us review the President's mproved standing, and our improving chances to hold the Senate and retake the House, and get all fired up and ready to go.

Nate Silver lists Arizona, to take a prominent example, as a competitive state, even with Romney at an 87% chance of winning. While I would not tell Arizona Democrats to give up on the remaining 13%, nor anybody else with a chance, I am going to focus on the states that Nate lists as Lean Obama or Tossup (currently none are listed as Lean Romney), with the percentages for Obama wins and the numbers of Electoral College votes:

  • Colorado, Lean Obama, 72%, 9
  • Florida, Lean Obama, 63%, 29
  • Iowa, Lean Obama, 72%, 6
  • North Carolina, Tossup, 40%, 15
  • Ohio, Lean Obama, 72%, 18
  • Virginia, Lean Obama, 73%, 13

Thus Obama should win between two-thirds and three-quarters of these states. Most likely 4 of them. Thus Nate predicts an Electoral College result, if nothing changes, of 313-225, up 18 for Obama since Aug. 21.

The total of the Electoral College votes in the states where Obama leads is 75. Out of those, Romney needs an additional 45 votes, which most likely means having to turn four of these states in his direction. Colorado, Iowa, Virginia, and either of Ohio or Florida. The probability of taking a group of states can be loosely approximated as the product of the probabilities for the states individually. (This is accurate only when the state probabilities are independent, which is never the case in an election.) So, for CO, FL, IA, VA, we get 0.28 x 0.37 x 0.28 x 0.27, which comes to 0.0078, or less than 1%. Similarly for the other possible combinations that in aggregate, modified by factors like the economy that could affect the states in the future, give Romney a 22.7% chance of winning.

Unless, of course, we apply some factors that aren't in the model, such as GOTV. We have a 5% advantage in registered voters over Republicans, but we have to motivate that extra 5% to the polls. Which would definitely let us take back the House and hold the Senate.

The question, then, is how many of us we can get fired up and ready to go.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

A tag is a way to search for this diary. If someone is searching for "Barack Obama," is this a diary they'd be trying to find?

Use a person's full name, without any title. Senator Obama may become President Obama, and Michelle Obama might run for office.

If your diary covers an election or elected official, use election tags, which are generally the state abbreviation followed by the office. CA-01 is the first district House seat. CA-Sen covers both senate races. NY-GOV covers the New York governor's race.

Tags do not compound: that is, "education reform" is a completely different tag from "education". A tag like "reform" alone is probably not meaningful.

Consider if one or more of these tags fits your diary: Civil Rights, Community, Congress, Culture, Economy, Education, Elections, Energy, Environment, Health Care, International, Labor, Law, Media, Meta, National Security, Science, Transportation, or White House. If your diary is specific to a state, consider adding the state (California, Texas, etc). Keep in mind, though, that there are many wonderful and important diaries that don't fit in any of these tags. Don't worry if yours doesn't.

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed from the site and returned to your drafts for further editing.)
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site