I was one of the 19 people arrested when the police raided the Occupy Salt Lake City camp last November 12. Our trial was Monday. It was a bench trial and it lasted 6 hours. They only charged us with infractions so we were only entitled to a bench trial. They didn't want this going before a jury. We had 5 attorneys who took our cases pro bono. We all had agreed to be tried at the same time to simplify things. The arguments our attorneys made that our 1st amendment rights were violated didn't get much traction, but during cross examination of one of the police officers one of our attorneys hit pay dirt. The city issued us special camping permits. They issued a new one each day. The officer in question was the one who delivered the new permit each day and got one of the occupiers to sign it. He said that he always delivered them in the evening and they were good until 7:00 pm the next day. That same day,November 11,the police announced that they were going to close down the camp the next day for "public safety and health issues." The next day the police began their huge operation. But they forgot one minor detail. No one revoked the permit issued the night before and they began their sweep at 6pm. Oops. The judge ruled that since the permit was still valid the police order to vacate the park was illegal. The charges of park curfew violation were dismissed. On the second count,disturbing the peace,since the first charges were dismissed and there was no evidence that the occupiers did anything else to merit being charged with disturbing the peace,those charges are also dismissed. Actually one of us was found guilty on that charge. He yelled at the police while he was being arrested. Lady Justice prevails.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
hazey, Odysseus, MadRuth, Sandino, kaliope, AoT, blueoasis, One Pissed Off Liberal, Don midwest, brasilaaron, rhutcheson, LinSea, nancat357, Funkygal, Publius2008, Susipsych, IB JOHN, nogo postal, YaNevaNo, jacey, IndieGuy, FloridaSNMOM, Horace Boothroyd III
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by rmonroe
- Fight dumbassery everywhere you see it. We've been way too tolerant.299 comments 233 Recs
- Missouri Republicans Are Waging a War Against the Poor, And They Are Winning As Veto Override Occurs36 comments 64 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...619 comments 427 Recs
- With currently a staggering 829 votes ... Bernie Sanders is expected to win the nomination 61.52% to 38.48% . ** http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2015/04/30/bernie-sanders-will-challenge-...529 comments 163 Recs
- I’m in a rage right now. Washington is not playing political games. They are destroying our country and our people. America is a world leader in child hunger, poverty, and homelessness. We are ...40 comments 74 Recs
- It is completely counter-intuitive to turn in to suffering. In fact, most people spend their entire lives trying to aim for pleasure and avoid suffering. The problem with that strategy is that ...49 comments 32 Recs
- New hashtag promoted by the Baltimore Police Union What in the world? After six Baltimore police officers were arrested on felony charges in ...131 comments 129 Recs
- Besides standing up against Trade Deals that end up exporting American Jobs; Besides calling for more equitable Tax rates on the Wealthy, that will reduce the dangerous and growing gaps in Income ...158 comments 191 Recs
- Almost every day on Facebook, Twitter, or some other social media, I see a conservative ranting away with how the Republican Party is the party of, ahem, “good Christian values” Often ...250 comments 274 Recs
- 84 comments 190 Recs
- No current results.