Veterans won’t be getting a new, billion-dollar jobs program, not from this Senate. Republicans on Wednesday afternoon blocked a vote on the Veterans Job Corps Bill after Jeff Sessions of Alabama raised a point of order — he said the bill violated a cap on spending agreed to by Congress last year. The bill’s sponsor, Patty Murray of Washington, said that shouldn’t matter, since the bill’s cost was fully offset by new revenues. She said Mr. Sessions and his party colleagues had been furiously generating excuses to oppose the bill, and were now exploiting a technicality to deny thousands of veterans a shot at getting hired as police officers, firefighters and parks workers, among other things.The vote was 58-40...in favor, but 60 is the new 50, so there you go. The party that got us into war now fails to live up to obligations because they are assholes. Seriously how can you get this wrong...veterans...jobs...and oh yeah forgot the crucial point, something positive during the Obama Administration...can't have that now, can we.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
hangingchad, jane123, Shirl In Idaho, kurt, AmySmith, Habitat Vic, carpunder, LaFeminista, WakeUpNeo, Farkletoo, Marjmar, ET3117
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Gangster Octopus
- Well this sucks. KCET television icon and much-beloved California transplant Huell Howser died aged 67. We'll miss you, big guy!50 comments 35 Recs
- December 21, 2012 edition Frankstown Township, Penn. -- Four people including the shooter were killed and three Pennsylvania state troopers were wounded today (Friday) during a shooting, the ...2 comments 10 Recs
- Seeing reports that Republican Lungren has conceded to Democrat Ami Bera for CA-07 Congressional district. Halleloo! Dan Lungren concedes race, congratulates Ami Bera in 7th Congressional District ...98 comments 150 Recs
- Soledad, the only real journalist at CNN, is on a roll. This morning she had on Rep Joe Heck(R) Nevada who wants in on the tantrum fest Grandpa McCain and Lindsey Graham have staked out over Susan ...26 comments 45 Recs
- ...if he doesn't get what he wants. This from Jake Tapper: White House officials insist that they're confident that a deal will be struck. One top Obama adviser, however, told ABC News that if the ...23 comments 40 Recs
- 41 comments 45 Recs
- SELL OBAMA ON INTRADE / MT @ politicalwire : Dick Morris, who just days ago predicted landslide for Romney, sees danger signs for Republicans. — Nate Silver (@fivethirtyeight) November 2, 2012 ...63 comments 65 Recs
- Here's what seems like her final appeal: The polling average over the last two weeks : Warren: +3.1% And the amateur video that went viral that set her on the way to this amazing victory. No ...156 comments 280 Recs
- On Tuesday, I posted Romney and other Republican dolts will laugh. But Sandy shows there IS a need to heal the planet : Mitt Romney got an extended guffaw at the Republican National Convention with ...104 comments 127 Recs
- Just read What's Happenin Climate Change Week post and joanneleon's fascinating details of making her way ...22 comments 16 Recs
Gangster Octopus's Tags
- No current results.