So you'll never guess what yesterday was, unless you follow me below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosagnocchi dividerthingie fold after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group dKosemailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
Way back in September 2004, I was working at a biotech firm and one of my colleagues impressed me with how knowledgeable he was politically. When I asked questions about what he said, he always sourced his data, and I noticed a pattern: many of them came from this website called DailyKos.com
koss? koz? kose? what kinda name is that anyway?!
After a while, I started going to the site directly, and it wasn't long before I wanted to rate comments I liked (this was the 1-4 ratings days, mind you :-)). So on September 24th, 2004 I took the plunge and created an account. I was shy (hey!! Stop laughing over there, I can HEAR you!!) so wanted to use a pseudonym. I looked around, and at my feet was my trusty dog, Brillig. Typed it in, found it wasn't taken, and suddenly, twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the blog. Which, as it turns out, is pronounced Daily Kos-as-in-verbose :-).
I never thought I'd be here eight years later, that's for sure! Or that I'd have met so many people either virtually or physically, and call you, you and you over there in the back my friend. In looking for a site to trust to give me accurate information that the print and air media would not, I became WAY more politically outspoken. It's amazing what confidence in your information can do for one's willingness to use it in discussion.
Thank you all for the rec's, mojo, comments, hugs virtual and real, and most of all for being the reasons I came, and the reasons I stay.
So what was going on the day I joined?
- Scientists announce that they have deciphered the complete DNA sequence of Legionella pneumophila, one of the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' Disease.The Yankees apparently beat the Red Sox 6 - 4. It's always nice to see that even as the years pass, I don't waver on my uncaringness of baseball stats.
- Conflict in Iraq: The Muslim Council of Britain sends a delegation to Baghdad in the hopes of securing the release of Kenneth Bigley.
- Same-sex marriage in Canada: The Nova Scotia Supreme Court strikes down the province's law forbidding same-sex marriages, making it the sixth of Canada's provinces and territories to legalize same-sex marriage. Neither the federal nor the Nova Scotia government had opposed the court challenge.
- 2004 Atlantic hurricane season: The storm formerly known as Hurricane Ivan, now a tropical depression, makes landfall near the Texas–Louisiana border late Thursday night, with maximum sustained winds of 35 mph.
If I'm using Search correctly, and while I am not entirely sure (DK4 search and I are not the best of friends), Mr. Brillig tried and says there were 248 diaries published that day.
Let's see what's going on NOW!
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From first-time nominator hungrycoyote:Never recommended a comment before, but this one by wjhamilton29464 deserves more attention.
From Dave in Northridge:This will probably be in jotter's picture quilt tomorrow, but this was the culmination of a redstate.com squirrel thread, courtesy of highacidity, in Jeff Lieber's funny diary about the polls.
From cskendrick:Grubber provides proof that Republicans don't naturally select the same way as the rest of us
NewOrleansDem makes a fine Chicken Lowden reference regarding Mitt Romneys view that ER is a fine option for the uninsured.
Scarce validates the old chestnut that Even as broken a clock as Scott Walker knows last night's Seahawks v Packers game was chock full o blown calls.
From Yours Truly, brillig:In Fiddler On A Hot Tin Roof's diary Hey moron, the emergency room is not free!, skwimmer commented on what (some) Canadians say. FourthOfJulyAsburyPark's reply was a brilliant analogy.
Top Mojo for yesterday, September 24th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic!
1) It really is a BFD. by Wee Mama — 203
2) It's an important gaffe by Ekaterin — 178
3) Soon no one beyond the rabid racists by jazzyjay — 167
4) AIPAC is a small subset of American Jews. by 57andFemale — 145
5) Polls are showing O's Jewish support undiminished by Torta — 145
6) This is why Republicans are so desperate... by Mets102 — 140
7) Under the guise of working for the clerk's office? by Crashing Vor — 139
8) She's beautiful. It's obvious that with a by hungrycoyote — 138
9) Life is a hard school by political junquie — 129
10) All I can say is this: Obama is nothing if not a by mdmslle — 109
11) Nice job by Kane in CA — 109
12) I'm just looking forward to the debates by slinkerwink — 107
13) OMG, I had to check the link by Ekaterin — 106
14) I like that. by Bush Bites — 100
15) and if you find a lump in your testes or breasts? by G2geek — 100
16) just trying to lower expectations by justmy2 — 98
17) Seniors, get to know your ER staff by Clem Yeobright — 95
18) We need to tie this to all Republicans by FishOutofWater — 95
19) No, only the ones that are obsessive by hannah — 94
20) Yeah, if there's a fire, you definitely want by stunzeed — 92
21) Truth. by progressivist — 91
22) thanks for the report... by Glen The Plumber — 89
23) No - you do not get "health care" at an ER, by mumtaznepal — 88
24) Thank you... by JeffW — 87
25) Borrow money from your parents. by Railfan — 86
26) Good thing we're not facing any big by Bindle — 84
27) If the planet's getting hotter by Chayanov — 83
28) And every GOP pundit I've seen lately by hungrycoyote — 82
29) I was a bit nervous about the debates by Lovepolitics2008 — 82
30) The Lindsey Graham quote by Ian Reifowitz — 82
Top Pictures for yesterday, September 24th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!