This diary gives 10 reasons not to see "Won't Back Down".
Here's an 11th.
It's funded and produced by Philip Anschutz' company Walden media
What is Walden Media you ask?
The company is owned by the Christian conservative Philip Anschutz, who has said he expects their movies "to be entertaining, but also to be life affirming and to carry a moral message."What kind of moral message, you ask?
Hmm, could it be a Christian, Conservative, Right-to-life, Anti-Gay, Climate-change denier, kind of moral message?
Let's check Wikipedia to see how Philip Anschutz defines "morality."
Often identified as "Christian billionaire Phil Anschutz", he is a Republican donor who supported George W. Bush's administration. He has been an active patron of a number of religious and conservative causes.Ah, YES the kind of morality which protects the right to discriminate against gays, desecrate sacred sites of those who hold other views, promote conservative christian views and advocate for charter schools. That kind of morality!!
Some Facts about Anchutz:
1. In May 2001, the Bush administration upheld Anschutz's right to drill an exploratory oil well at Weatherman Draw, in south-central Montana where Native American tribes wanted to preserve sacred rock drawings.
2. Helped fund Colorado's 1992 Amendment 2,which would overturn laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
3. Financed and distributed films with Christian themes, such as Amazing Grace and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, for mass audiences through his two film production companies and ownership of much of the Regal, Edwards and United Artists theater chains.
4. In 2009 Anschutz purchased the conservative American opinion magazine The Weekly Standard from Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation
5. Philip Anschutz and fellow board members of the American Petroleum Institute in Washington are credited by Bush's energy secretary for the Oval Office decision to kill the Kyoto Protocol in 2001
6. Funded Institute for American Values, which campaigns against same-sex marriage and against single parenting.
7. Anschutz also funded the pro-charter school movie Waiting for Superman