Come on! Big Bird? Really? Mitt Romney wants to go there? Turns out, Mitt Romney isn't alone in that. In fact, a whole mess of Republicans like the idea of cutting PBS funding to save 0.00014 percent of the budget.
In fact, it's all part of Paul Ryan's big budget plan. Back in February, 2011 the House voted on H.R. 1, a budget bill that would completely defund public broadcasting (and prevent the FCC from enforcing net neutrality rules because freedom). Just about every Republican in the House voted to give Big Bird the axe.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out what this list of deplorable House of Republicans our Speaker Pelosi Project candidates are running against said about this vote. Let's find out who was the most enthusiastic Sesame Street Slasher in the gang.
And let's make them pay. Here's the list, with their Dem challengers.
- (CA-07) Rep. Dan Lungren v Ami Bera
- (FL-18) Rep. Allen West v Patrick Murphy
- (FL-26) Rep. David Rivera v Joe Garcia
- (MN-06) Rep. Michele Bachman v Jim Graves
- (MN-08) Rep. Chip Craavack v Rick Nolan
- (NH-01) Rep. Charlie Bass v Ann Kuster
- (NH-01)Rep. Frank Guinta v Carol Shea Porter
- (NY-18)Rep. Nan Hayworth v Sean Patrick Maloney
- (OH-16) Rep. Jim Renacci v Betty Sutton
- (PA-06) Rep. Jim Gerlach v Manan Trivedi
- (PA-08) Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick v Kathy Boockvar
- (WI-07) Rep. Sean Duffy v Pat Kreitlow
So go to it! Go find the most outrageous statements these Republicans made about defunding public broadcasting. And you'll get bonus points (the value of which to be determined at a later date) if you can get a statement in support of Big Bird from our Democratic challengers!
4:18 PM PT: Since NPR tends to really get these guys frothing at the mouth, we will also consider as fair game outrageous statements about it.