When I become anxious about the election, I do 3 basic things. ( as face it, during an election cycle, we all have moments of doubts, fears , or even some small periods of anxiety. The major factor is limiting that fear and anxiety to hours or a day or two vs fear that can cripple, slow us down, and anxiety that zaps our energy and last for days or weeks )
1. GOTV and volunteering at OFA offices and meeting places. There is nothing like it.
You can receive encouragement, and support from other volunteers for the Obama campaign. There is strength in numbers and the sharing of common goals increases our energy and decreases our anxiety.
I am an old Veteran of GOTV for Democrats. I first became involved in 1976 in the Carter campaign vs Ford.
It was such a rewarding experience that I became Hooked and I have continued every 2 years since doing some work for the local, state, federal Democratic candidates for office.
2. Phonebanking..taking action helps counteract any feeilngs of anxiety one may have. I find as I become more involved, and do all I can to help, those feelings of stress melt away. As I find myself becoming more confident and strengthened through talking to other voters and encouraging them to vote.
3. Checking out the Electoral Math and Playing around with the Numbers. I did this Wednesday night because I was unable to do GOTV work late at night and into the wee hours of the morning, Thursday.
The Bottom Line is....the Electoral Math still heavily favors the President in good times and in bad. More below.....the cute little DKos squggly...
I know some are disappointed because this Election might be closer than we hoped for. I know some are thinking the debate performance of the President may make it harder for this election to be the Hoped for Landslide.
We might not get the Tsunami for the President and Democrats but we could very well still get some Significant Wins down ticket and the President can very well win a second term. There are still 3 debates ahead and anything can happen to turn this around,. The job numbers and other factors may indeed play a vital role in limiting Mr. Romney's expected bounce.
I think I am also writing this diary, not for concern trolls, but for everyone no matter where they are in their heads about this upcoming election. For me, it gives me renewed energy and for some , it may offer some hope, and for others, it will validate what they all ready know. I realize some will be irritated with me for writing this diary because they will think I am being overly anxious or trying to appease the handwringers. But , I often believe there are handwringers out there that will not admit that they have an hour here for there, or a few minutes now and again, where they feel anxious and wring their hands ..oh for a little bit.
But below, I have outlined several paths to Victory, in Good times and in Bad, when polling is good for the President , and when the Polling is Lousy.
Ok let us go with some lousy first and get that out of the way.
He needs 270 to win as everyone knows. I have mapped out that scenario.
1.. The States the President can Lose and Still win the Election with 271.
He can lose: Fl, NC, VA, CO, IN, and even Wisconsin and reach 271,,,a Win.
2. Same Formula as Number 1 but add Wisconsin for 281.
3. Same Formula as Number I plus add Wisconsin and Colorado....290.
4. Same Formula as Number I but add Virginia.....303.
5. Now subtract VA but Add FL...319
6. Subract Colorado.... 310.
7. Add Wisconsin, Subtract OH and FL but add Colorado ...272
The States I watch above all others are...Ohio, Nevada, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Colorado. I think the Firewall consists of ...Nevada, Colorado, New Hampshire, Ohio should things not go well in Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin.
Or should things not go well in Ohio but work out in Wisconsin and Colorado
Electoral Math is Fun and It helps to Chase away the Anxiety and Chase away the Fears.
As a newsaper reporter from the Capitol News in Harrisburg PA said on PCN on Friday evening....
The Electoral Map heavily favors the President and other Democratic Candidates for President in the future.I am hanging onto to that and also increasing my GOTV.