- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is The Plutocrat attacks!:
- What you missed on Sunday Kos ...
- The exit poll reduction: Pennywise and pound foolish, by Steve Singiser
- Billionaire homophobes and school privatizers are behind drive to weaken California unions, by Laura Clawson
- Gray Panthers, Raging Grannies and savvy seniors, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Let's not give Mitt Romney a pass on gay marriage, by Scott Wooledge
- Debate advice for President Obama: Mitt Romney will tell a lot of lies, and you must refute them, by Laurence Lewis
- Mitt Romney's win is conservatism's loss, by Dante Atkins
- In Ohio, they take their football very seriously.
- If you can't laugh at yourself ...
Now even President Obama is making fun of his Denver debate performance.
Speaking to a concert crowd at the Nokia Theater here, Obama said the musical acts that performed for his campaign – the likes of Katy Perry, Earth, Wind & Fire and Stevie Wonder, among others – “just perform flawlessly, night after night.”
A beat passed. Then the president made himself the punch line.
“I can’t always say the same,” he said.
- If you're in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas or Utah, voter registration ends tomorrow, so get over here and sign up!
- Who knew?
Men running for high office spend a lot more time — and money — than they'd like you to think on their makeup.
All of them, at least, other than Joe Biden, a makeup skeptic who has only one rule, according to a makeup artist who worked with him: Don't touch the hair. [...]
And while makeup application for male politicians may still be under the radar, it’s not exactly a secret. According to a 2007 Politico article, Romney spent $300 on makeup applications that year (listed on the FEC reports as "communications consulting"). And in the spirit of “People” covers the world over, there’s even a Facebook group called “See UNSEEN Photos of Barack Obama WITHOUT Makeup ON!”.
- Being in Maryland, how did I miss this?
- Money well spent:
One presidential candidate is buying television airtime in California, but it’s not Mitt Romney or Barack Obama.
It’s former sitcom star Roseanne Barr, who is running as the Peace and Freedom Party’s presidential candidate.
Media tracking sources tell ABC News that Barr is spending $4,900 to run television ads in the San Francisco Bay Area from Oct. 9 through Oct. 16. She’s purchased time on cable stations like CNN, MSNBC, TBS, the Country Music Channel and Comedy Central.
The legendary alligators who once lurked in New York City’s sewer system have moved to the suburbs. Five alligators have been found wandering Long Island communities in recent days, and unlike their mythical city-slicker brethren, nobody doubts their existence.
- On Friday, the Supreme Court granted certiorari in McBurney v Young, which raises the question of whether states can prevent out-of-state residents from having access to their public records under state freedom of information laws. DailyKos participated in an amicus brief urging the Court to hear this case. - Adam B
- A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket on its maiden commercial flight lost an engine at about the worst possible time in terms of aerodynamic stress last night. What happened next is an example of pretty damn amazing mechanical design engineering:
One of the nine Merlin engines powering the Falcon 9 had a failure 90 seconds into the flight. It’s not clear what happened just yet, but there is pretty dramatic footage of the engine failure; in the slow motion video below you can see some sort of flash and puff of flame at the 30 second mark (I’ve set the video to start 22 seconds in).- DarkSyde
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 131 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 58 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 178 Recs
- Now that I know that if I come in to your pizza parlor and ask for pepperoni pies for my gay wedding the answer will bem "NO!" , some other pressing questions leap to mind. What if it was just a ...120 comments 150 Recs
- I know that the DCCC went into "desperation" mode and caught a lot of flack with their "ALL HOPE IS LOST!!!" money begs last fall. However, I never thought I'd see them LITERALLY say that "ALL HOPE ...275 comments 375 Recs
- Ten years ago, I nearly lost my life when an RPG tore through the cockpit of my Black Hawk helicopter in Iraq. The only reason I made it home was because of the heroism of my courageous buddies ...134 comments 375 Recs
- I was in Selma, Alabama on the historic Freedom Day to register voters. Tensions were high and leaders were escalating their tactics. I saw the inequality and violence that African-Americans ...49 comments 295 Recs
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 713 Recs
- Since no one in authority here has put up an "Ask me anything" diary in a while, I have taken it upon myself to cover for their sorry asses by posting my own version of "Ask me anything" even though ...360 comments 129 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.