I've been thinking a lot lately about this wake-up call that conservative whites have received in this election -- i.e. the fact that they are no longer able to win elections with the white-male vote alone. It reminds of times I've read about whites complaining about people of color speaking other languages in their presence, and feeling, oh, like they're in the minority. Like they're outnumbered.
I say, welcome to my world. ;-)
More after the fleur de Kos...
To help these new minorities get used to their impending predicament (still 70-something percent of the country, at last count), I've come up with some signs that you may be a minority. Feel free to add your own.
Signs you May be a Minority:
* People of color assume you vote for a white candidate because you're so overcome with a mixture of excitement and desire for revenge, you just can't help yourself.
* People of color wonder what you're doing in their neighborhood. God forbid, you're wearing a hoodie.
* You get followed around in stores just in case you're thinking about pocketing something. God forbid, you're wearing a hoodie.
* People assume you got into your college/university because you're white... and because affirmative action. Or maybe you sued to get in after losing your spot to a undeserving white person.
* You enter an elevator and the black person already in it pulls her purse closer to her.
* You get pulled over by highway patrol because you're driving a new car and they're looking for a crime suspect who looks something like you - white male, 200 lbs, etc. God forbid, you're wearing a hoodie.
* You're complimented by your Latino boss at work for being so "articulate".
* You're getting really weary of being the only white person in the room. Even worse if you're male.
* Everybody assumes you listen to country music, can't dance, and only speak English. If only they'd get to know your culture!