Skip to main content

A part of numbered rows of cement seats in a small open theater, from 18 to 21
One of these numbers here just has to be right ...
I thought this was pretty hilarious. Freshman GOP Rep. Chris Gibson, who just fended off a tough reelection challenge from Democrat Julian Schreibman, is trying to get out from under his pledge never to raise taxes that he made to anti-tax zealot Grover Norquist—a pledge he readily took when he first ran for Congress in 2010. But Gibson doesn't want to look like he's going back on his word, so he's come up with a truly comical "rationale" as to why his promise no longer applies to him:
The Congressman signed the pledge as a candidate in 2010 for the 20th Congressional District. [...]

Regarding the pledge moving forward, Congressman Gibson doesn’t plan to resign it for the 19th Congressional District, which he now represents (the pledge is to your constituents of a numbered district).

I'm pretty sure Gibson is trying to say that because his district number got changed, the pledge no longer applies! That's some amazing chutzpah. I mean, what if the number had happened to stay the same? And even forgetting that nonsense, how about the fact that 44 percent of the constituents in the new 19th were previously represented by Gibson in the old 20th? So would the pledge apply to that group, but not the remaining 56 percent? This is so ridiculous I can scarcely believe it. It doesn't matter what I think, though: The real question, though, will be whether Norquist buys it. Somehow, I have a feeling he won't.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

A tag is a way to search for this diary. If someone is searching for "Barack Obama," is this a diary they'd be trying to find?

Use a person's full name, without any title. Senator Obama may become President Obama, and Michelle Obama might run for office.

If your diary covers an election or elected official, use election tags, which are generally the state abbreviation followed by the office. CA-01 is the first district House seat. CA-Sen covers both senate races. NY-GOV covers the New York governor's race.

Tags do not compound: that is, "education reform" is a completely different tag from "education". A tag like "reform" alone is probably not meaningful.

Consider if one or more of these tags fits your diary: Civil Rights, Community, Congress, Culture, Economy, Education, Elections, Energy, Environment, Health Care, International, Labor, Law, Media, Meta, National Security, Science, Transportation, or White House. If your diary is specific to a state, consider adding the state (California, Texas, etc). Keep in mind, though, that there are many wonderful and important diaries that don't fit in any of these tags. Don't worry if yours doesn't.

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed from the site and returned to your drafts for further editing.)
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site