- Today's comic is A totally expected journey to the 7:45 showing of The Hobbit by Ruben Bolling:
- Be part of our first War on Christmas fund-raising drive:
We’re closing out the best year of our existence—whether in terms of traffic or actual results. We’ve got insanely great things planned for 2013 and then it’s on to 2014, when we buck history and retire John Boehner. But with changing web economics, we’ll need you more than ever to help fund our efforts.
- This is big of us:
The United States has backed a United Nations draft resolution favoring universal healthcare coverage.
The nonbinding measure calls on U.N. member states to ensure citizens' access to health insurance, and was approved by the U.N. General Assembly on Wednesday.
- This is about a dozen kinds of wrong:
The Kansas City Star has told reporters Karen Dillon and Dawn Bormann that one of them has to leave the paper, and they — not management — have to decide who goes.
- Good question:
If a notable woman dies and a major national newspaper doesn't report it, did it actually happen?
Big papers' lists of significant deaths in 2012 overwhelmingly feature men. The Washington Post put 18 women and 48 men on its list. On the other side of the country, the Los Angeles Times listed 36 women and 114 men. And lest you think this is some kind of freak 2012 phenomenon, the New York Times has consistently listed many more men than women over the last five years.
- Oh, look. One of Sarah Palin's spawn is undermining the sanctity of traditional shotgun weddings.
- And in more spawn-of-Sarah news:
The continuing move of the entire Palin family into reality television careers is an amusing downfall story, but it took a serious turn today with the news that the state of Alaska had provided $354,348 in subsidies to Bristol Palin’s most recent venture into the genre, her Lifetime show Bristol Palin: Life’s A Tripp, which had such dreadful ratings it was yanked from its slot after two episodes. It’s one thing for the entertainment industry to effectively subsidize the Palins’ careers, given the relatively limited appeal they have in the aftermath of Sarah Palin’s political career. But it’s another for Alaska to spend money to attract a show to the state that probably would have filmed there anyway.
- Oh great. Another reason to be pissed at George Lucas.
- This happened:
Car thieves in Youngstown, Ohio, crashed the car they stole after they discovered they had a passenger in the back seat: Penelope, a nearly 300-pound pot belly pig.
Joe L. Allbritton, the founder of Allbritton Communications, the parent company of ABC7, NewsChannel 8 and POLITICO, died Wednesday, just 17 days shy of his 88th birthday.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, the Fiscal Thingy debate rages on, the House dithers, and Boehner negotiates for a caucus that might not even be on his side. Greg Dworkin on polling that says despite the pundits (again), the President really does have a mandate, while Gop voters won't give an inch, and a majority insists they must. The so-called "Right to Work" issue reminds us of the Newt Gingrich's Orwellian framing work. On filibuster reform, an open letter from academics, clarifying the constitutional grounds and Senate precedents for changing the rules by majority vote.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Kaili Joy Gray
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 715 Recs
- Some of us have been missing Kaili Joy Gray's weekly recap of the War on Women. I'd rather be just plain missing the War on Women, but until then, we're trying to bring this weekly feature back as ...59 comments 101 Recs
- Kaili's first contribution is up at Wonkette and it is terrific. Happy Conservative Warriors Defeated by Mysterious CPAC Plague Caused By Liberals Probably . Everybody please welcome our newest ...87 comments 195 Recs
- Cross posted from Blue Virginia Just when you thought Virginia AG - and presumptive 2013 Teapublican nominee for governor - Ken "Kookinelli" couldn't get any creepier or more bizarre,18 comments 29 Recs
- Robin Kelly, victorious After Robin Kelly's dominant victory in Tuesday night's Democratic primary to fill ex-Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.'s vacant House seat, there's been a lot of very facile analysis ...84 comments 133 Recs
- This is fucking awesome, and hilarious, and appropriate, and reflective of my thinking on the issue. Look, I've long maintained that Daily Kos isn't for everyone, and will never strive to be. It is ...860 comments 564 Recs
- Greg Sargent :Norman Ornstein, an observer of Congress for decades, literally wrote the book on GOP obstructionism. So I asked him what he thought of the disappointing filibuster reform deal reached ...224 comments 250 Recs
- Chances Rand Paul will ever be president No doubt you've seen Sen. Rand Paul's made-for-TV tantrum yesterday at the U.S. Senate's Benghazi hearing. When the Kentucky ...95 comments 133 Recs
- No, not that pizza executive Here's what House Republicans were up to yesterday : House Republicans heard it loud ...100 comments 32 Recs
- I've long believed that wankerish NoLabels-loving conservaDem Jim Cooper has deserved a primary challenge. It's not just his votes but his mouth: He's spent his whole career publicly undermining the ...191 comments 147 Recs
Kaili Joy Gray's Tags
- #OccupyWallstreet (256)
- Abortion (12390)
- Black Kos (3693)
- Bristol Palin (265)
- Civil Rights (41562)
- Equal Pay (636)
- Feminism (3402)
- Mad Logophile (39)
- Occupy Wall Street (14339)
- Planned Parenthood (2907)
- Rape (4497)
- Sarah Palin (15994)
- second-wave feminism (14)
- Sex (1580)
- Susan G. Komen (247)
- War on Women (5530)
- Women (5817)
Kaili Joy Gray's Blogroll
- No current results.