Now is the time to make something happen. There are people with long histories of NRA loyality who are saying now is the time. What should be done is not the same as what can be done. The question is what do you propose to try and help the problem. My suggestions are the following:
1. Remove non-automatic weapons from the conversation immediately. I am not a fan of guns, but I am a realist. Hunting rifles and non-automatic weapons for your own security are fine in my book. This also shows we are not trying to take away all guns.
2. Restore the waiting period on guns. It is hard to argue against same day voter registration while defending a carry-out policy on Ak47s.
3. I prefer an outright ban on semi-automatic and automatic weapons from this day forward and a buy back program for anyone willing to get rid of these unnecessary weapons. If that is not an option, than....
4. A registration system for guns that must be renewed yearly. Agreeing to buy a weapon designed for killing multiple people should require a yearly fee (per weapon) and the agreement to have spot checks. I also believe insurance companies should be notified that their policy holders have weapons and if the company wishes to charge a higher premium I am fine with that. (I know people who have gotten rid of trampolines because of the insurance premiums associated with them.)
5. A tracking system for purchase of ammunition. If it is okay to track how often I buy cough syrup, I think it is okay to check how many rounds of ammo is being stockpiled.
6. Ban the sale of full body armor to non-military and police members. Why would you need full body armor? That is a huge red flag in my book.
7. Schools should have a mental health professional for every 600 students in the system. (It is a random number. The majority of people are fine, but you want to be able to intervene as quick as possible.)
8. I have no idea how to handle adults who need help.
9. There should be a discussion on the rating systems of movies and video games. The balance between free speech that needs to be maintained is the same balance of the 2nd Amendment. Not to have any discussion about the role of movies and video games would be wrong. There is never a bad time to review things.
These are my few thoughts and suggestions.