Every time there's a problem, the solution always seems to be, screw the poor. And now, President Obama seems ready to let that happen again in his debt negotiations with Boehner. This time it's the elderly poor who will suffer by reducing the index by which Social Security keeps up with inflation. Who will be harmed most by this? The folks who depend on social security exclusively or almost exclusively for their retirement income - the poor. There are so many other ways to save the same amount of money, even within social security. For example, why not cut off social security benefits to those with incomes over a certain level. Do wealthy seniors really need to keep receiving social security while poor seniors keep losing ground to inflation? This proposal is truly heartless and it will be very sad if Democrats go along.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by tonymil
- Last week, Max Baucus (D-MT) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT) introduced ...50 comments 107 Recs
- Scientists connect 2013's weird weather extremes to jet stream They're trying to understand the cause of these unusual patterns They blame it for everything from snowstorms in May to the path of ...176 comments 318 Recs
- Today in Alpharetta, Georgia, a man suspected of multiple armed bank robberies in Michigan was being pursued by police. As he tried to evade the police, he turned into a strip mall. Traffic ...77 comments 284 Recs
- Who can best this commenter on mandatory Creationism assemblies in this wingnut-run school district in southwest Kansas? John Dunn • 3 days ago Some people think it is likely that there is an ...199 comments 251 Recs
- Tonight, Mark Sanford won the GOP run-off in the SC-01 special election and will face off against Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch on May 7. My Off The Sidelines PAC is all in for Elizabeth and I ...44 comments 246 Recs
- The Helmholtz Association of Research Centres , a major German scientific body with more than 30,000 researchers and US$4.4 billion in annual funding , has dropped out of a joint Alberta tar sands ...46 comments 221 Recs
- That is the title of this New York Times story which warns that over the coming decades are likely to surpass levels not seen on the planet since before the last ice age. The article is reporting ...71 comments 122 Recs
- This will be a very short diary, but I just saw this and had to post it. The video really speaks for itself. Jacob Rudolph, a high school senior in Parsippany, New Jersey, stood before his school ...83 comments 281 Recs
- Whole Foods CEO John Mackey calls Obamacare fascism in a NPR interview. In an interview with NPR’s Steve Inskeep, Whole Foods CEO John Mackey revised his previous description of Obamacare as ...403 comments 257 Recs
- You know something you almost never hear from a. The White House, b. The Obama Campaign, c. Obama Cabinet officials, d. Obama appointees, or e., President Obama himself? This: I've been very ...511 comments 578 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.